Priming pebble-dashed rendering for Sandtex

Hi guys,

I'm chewing on life's gristle at the moment. Whoever painted the pebble-das hed wall I'm preparing didn't prime it properly, so the existing paint has adhered poorly and is grudgingly and patchily flaking off as I attack it wi th a wire brush, knocking off poorly embedded pebbles in the process as wel l. Whoever thought up pebble-dashing and especially the concept of over-pai nting it should be shot, I reckon. Anyway, after the old paint has been removed, the render & shingle undernea th are exposed and the surface is dry and powdery. It therefore needs primi ng. Am I alright to just use PVA 5:1 with water for this purpose, or do I r eally need to splash out on Sandtex's fancy and expensive stabilising solut ion? Advice and/or moral support from a fellow sufferer at this trying time would be nice.

Cheers.

Reply to
orion.osiris

I'm chewing on life's gristle at the moment. Whoever painted the pebble-dashed wall I'm preparing didn't prime it properly, so the existing paint has adhered poorly and is grudgingly and patchily flaking off as I attack it with a wire brush, knocking off poorly embedded pebbles in the process as well. Whoever thought up pebble-dashing and especially the concept of over-painting it should be shot, I reckon. Anyway, after the old paint has been removed, the render & shingle underneath are exposed and the surface is dry and powdery. It therefore needs priming. Am I alright to just use PVA 5:1 with water for this purpose, or do I really need to splash out on Sandtex's fancy and expensive stabilising solution? Advice and/or moral support from a fellow sufferer at this trying time would be nice.

Cheers.

Both work. But you'll likely need several coats of increasing strength PVA, so more work I fancy that the Sandtex stuff is better. anyway. The easiest way to get the loose off is with a power washer BTW. If you go to your builder's merchant they will have other cheaper stabilising stuff.

Reply to
harryagain

Thanks for the tips - esp the one about the power washer!!

Reply to
orion.osiris

Yeah but watch out as the power washer will have the pebbledash off the wall in short order if it's in the state you describe (ie same as mine was!)

Another gotcha for you: after I'd finished Karchering my house the whole garden, drive, flowerbeds etc were covered in the flecks of old white paint. Impossible to shift through any normal means. I reckon it took at least a year for it all to vanish.... SWBO was well chuffed!

The Sandtex did a brilliant job though; still binding the knackered old pebbledash together very effectively years later.

Reply to
Lobster

Yeah, it's quality stuff alright. I've been thinking about ways to re-dash the render that's had it's pebbles displaced but haven't come up with any brainwaves as yet. Well, that's not strictly true; I've come up with the loony idea of mixing up fresh pebbles with an adhesive such as Sticks Like **** and then plastering them back on the damaged area of wall with a trowel. As for the aftermath you describe I guess the lesson is to do the powerwash ing when it's raining so the flakes and smaller debris can't get airborne!

Reply to
orion.osiris