Exterior Painting - Sandtex

The last time I did this job was 10 years ago. I had a supply of Textured Masonry Paint (Sandtex) which was magnolia matt and very thick. Towards the end of the job I had to buy more and without realising it bought smooth texture. This seemed thinner and not as good at filling cracks, it also left a shinier surface.

Now that I am looking for the paint I can only find Sandtex Fine Textured Masonry Paint.

I suspect this will be thin and will not give me the desired result.

Can anyone tell me if Sandtex still make a thicker Textured paint or is there something similar from another firm?

If I can only buy this smoother paint is there a technique for laying a thicker primer (masonry type) (if so what product do you suggest) on the areas of rendering which are worse, and then paint over with - say

- Fine Textured Sandtex.

I note that B&Q is doing a discount on Sandtex. Is the retail version of Fine Textured exactly the same as Trade version of Sandtex's "Fine Textured"?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

km

Reply to
km

KM,

See the blurb straight from Sandtex at

Sandtex® Fine Textured Masonry Paint Formulated for superb durability with a fine textured finish to fill hairline cracks and disguise minor blemishes.

a.. Microseal ® technology b.. Dirt resistant c.. Extra durable d.. Covers fine cracks e.. 15 year guaranteed protection Remember though, that if there fairly large cracks in the render, these really should be filled before the application of any type of Sandtex finish - see

for wall preparation.

From my own experience, if Sandtex is properly applied (two normal coats rather than one very thick one), then you will have one hell of a job beating this product - see here

for painting details.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Thanks. I had researched those Sandtex pages already. What has happened is that their earlier product seems to have been totally replaced with the "smooth" texture. From my last experience the newer product is inferior in ability to cover the render.

When first opened and before stirring the "old" product separated into a top layer of clear gel and when stirred the paint had what is best described as a "foamy" look.

I intend to use Sandtex because of reputation and if I cannot find the original matt textured versio then I will probably go with the "Fine Textured" option. It struck me that as it was called Fine Textured rather than simply Textured then there would be another degree of Texture.

That was where my question about comparison between Retail and Trade versions came in.

km

Reply to
km