Painting pebbledash

I've had the masonry painted at work, but the lower half is pebbledash and now the rest is clean and uniform, the pebbledash looks particularly shit.
I read that painting pebbledash can make it look even worse,
Any real life opinions on this?
On 29/08/2019 22:28, R D S wrote:

Lots of painted pebbledash around where I live. It looks fine if the paint is in good condition, but you are letting yourself in for regular work/expenditure repainting it.
Yes I saw one person getting it sprayed on about 10 years ago, people tell me its lasted very well, but no idea what they actually used.
Brian
--
----- --
On 29/08/2019 22:32, GB wrote:

pressure wash every 5 years and repaint every 20

Round where I live, a lot of the houses are around 100 years old. The pebble dashed ones are, anyway. I'm not sure how well they'd stand up to pressure washing.
We're in a brick house now, but our second home had white painted pebble dash, and it was quite difficult to keep it looking good, as the air in London is quite dirty. That was before the time of pressure washers.
Our neighbour painted his. He mixed some red paint in with the first coat, then the second coat was pure white. That made it easy to see whether he had missed a bit when painting.

Our previous house was rendered in something then finished with something called ‘Terryline’. Not sure about the spelling.
I’m not sure when the finish was applied, I suspect in the 1960s. We bought it in 1987/8 and it was still in excellent, sold in 1997 having done no more than washing it, still looked excellent. I walk by the house from time to time and it still looks very good, certainly no need for any remedial work.

A friend has just repainted pebbledash that was previously painted approx 30 years ago. The original white looked very dirty until it was washed prior to re-painting.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

If you fart near the (thankfully small) panels of pebbledashing on my house a stone or two falls out, I'd hate to see the result of pressure washing it ..
On 31/08/2019 08:08, Andy Burns wrote:

Indeed. Probably the most silly thing to do.
Might be better to just brush gently with a soft brush to remove dust and crud and seal it a clear sealant of some sort, like IKO waterseal :-
https://www.ikogroup.co.uk/product-category/liquids-and-compounds/page/4/
On Saturday, 31 August 2019 13:42:19 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

Bleach is pretty good at removing a lot of crud quickly. I can't see sealing it being a great move.
NT
On Thursday, 29 August 2019 22:32:30 UTC+1, GB wrote:

Pebbledash never, ever looks fine. Trouble is, poorly painted and/or maintained painted pebbledash can manage what used to seem impossible, it can look even worse.
Lots of examples round here of every everything from brand new pebbledash to dirty, flaking painted pebbledash.
On Thursday, 29 August 2019 22:28:47 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

Is it actual pebble-dash with pebbles, or 'tyrolean' finish (splatted render)?
I don't think the pebbles in pebbledash hold paint well, but painted tyrolean can look quite good, and lasts reasonably well if the environment isn't too dirty or harsh.
If the tyrolean render is coming off the substrate, get it all off and get a new breathable textured coating instead.
Owain
Yes I had to have the render fixed, then the joins sealed and then a special bonding coat of some disgusting looking stuff, and then the textured. I think the product was Wall. Its been pretty amazing for over 15 years, I have to say. Its not a DIY thing though, but, I feel it was worth the extra. Brian
--
----- --
On 29/08/2019 22:53, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Looks like pebble dash but multicoloured stone chippings.
As others have suggested it looks like just the right texture to gather dirt, so i'll either leave it or paint it the colour of the grey dust that seems to settle on everything, presumably from all the traffic!
On 07/09/2019 13:53, R D S wrote:

As I think about it i'd like to paint it black. And I thought of a gloss finish? But the price of suitable paint is putting me off, it's a fair area.
So i'm looking for paint recommendations, reasonable price, smooth finish....

Your choice of course, but IMO painting it glossy black would be about the worst choice you could make. For a start, black will show grey dirt almost as well as white. Second, if it's pebble dash (if it's multicoloured stone chippings, it may be called a spar finish http://tinyurl.com/y5upgwm3 ), I see no point in using gloss paint. A matt grey exterior paint would surely be much more appropriate.
--

Chris

On 27/09/2019 11:50, R D S wrote:

You're thinking of painting your whole house black, or just a little feature area? Before doing anything too drastic, I'd want to see a house painted black.

On 27/09/2019 12:48, GB wrote:

No, it's a shop. Pebbledash on bottom half. If you are interested Google 'Basecurve Ltd', should show it you.
Currently the brickwork has been repainted a light blue and the big stonework concrete grey. (Not my first choices but exterior paint colours are somewhat limited in the DIY sheds.)
Wondering now what to do with the pebbledash, cos now the rest of the building looks a bit better, that aspect of it looks worse, IMO.
On 27/09/2019 12:59, R D S wrote:

Then go to a BM.
I've used Ridgeons and Kent Blaxhill for my paints. Mix any color you like.
Especailly sandtex trade :-)

Use same paint as brickwork.

On 27/09/2019 12:59, R D S wrote:

Oh sandtext trade paint from here UNIT 5,DRUMSTONE TRADE PARK GRIMSHAW PARK ROAD BLACKBURN BB2 3AH