Nuisance calls

My elderly neighbour was complaining about nuisance calls. I said I'd register them with the Telephone Preference Service, but I find they're already registered. I presume this means that the bulk of their nuisance calls are coming from overseas, although I'm also with the TPI and get very few, just the occasional broadband cut-off scam, as do my neighbours.
Is there an alternative or addition to the TPS that also blocks overseas nuisance calls?
--

Chris

TPS is toothless. Get a call blocking phone, BT 4600 for example.
Tim+
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Hmm...thanks. They did say they'd got a phone that was supposed to stop nuisance calls, but that it didn't seem to be working. I suspect they don't understand how to use or set it up. I'll investigate further.
--

Chris

You need to set up a white list and shunt all unknown callers to the answerphone. That way one doesn’t miss anything really important. In my experience nuisance callers (except automated machines) never bother leaving messages.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Trouble is that by the time you get around to checking the answerphone, it may well be too late and the individual you care about may be dead.
On 16/05/2019 06:22, billj wrote:

My call blocking phone has an annoying beep every 15/30 seconds if there is a answerphone message that hasn't been played.
My phone is set for call monitoring so I can hear what is being recorded on the answerphone so I can, if I wish, pick up the phone to speak to the caller directly rather than let them finish on the answerphone
I agree with other posters - 99% cold callers hang up on getting the outgoing answerphone message and don't leave any message on the answerphone.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 16/05/2019 08:38, alan_m wrote:

Answerphones can cause their own problems.
We received a couple of calls while we were out, but no message was left. The next day a message was left. The person calling had been reluctant to leave a message telling us that a relative had died and hung on to try and talk to use directly, but eventually decided that they had to leave one. That meant we didn't find out about the death until 17:30 on Friday evening and needed to be in Sligo by 11:15 on Saturday morning! The last flight that night was 20:30 and we couldn't get organised, get our children to my parents, get to the airport and through security in time and the earliest the next morning was too late for us to pick up a hire car and get right across Ireland. In the end we had to egt organised, leave at 22:00, drive to Holyhead, cross to Dublin, drive to Sligo (arriving with 15 minutes to spare), attend the funeral service, the burial and the reception afterwards, then immediately leave for Belfast, cross to Stranraer and drive back to Manchester.
If we hadn't had an answerphone, they'd likely have asked a family member and got one of our mobile numbers, getting the info to us earlier.
SteveW

That’s one of the advantages of using a mobile phone for everything, you can see the number that called you with a missed call and call them back and with modern unlimited calls and texts and MMSs to any landline or mobile in the country, there is no reason not to call them back in case it was important and they chose not to leave a message for whatever reason.
I don’t get any spam calls on my mobile currently. Remains to be seen how that will change over time but the mobile has good spam blocking capability in various ways too and allows you to flag particular numbers that you allow to call you twice in a row and have the phone ring even if you have the phone set to do not disturb as well.
On 16/05/2019 20:55, Rod Speed wrote:

Except some of the numbers presented for a possible call back are premium rate numbers which may not be covered in your mobile calling plan.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

You are free to not call those back.
On 16/05/2019 22:40, alan_m wrote:

Although no help with expensive 09x numbers you can often find standard geographic landline equivalents for 084x and 087x numbers at https://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php
On Thu, 16 May 2019 11:32:23 +0100, Steve Walker

How about having your answerphone message give your mobile number as an alternative?
--
Dave W

On 18/05/2019 11:27, Dave W wrote:

That will be a big help to the spammers.
Currently my mobile is nearly free of cold calls which cannot be said of my landline.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Probably because it's more difficult to get free calls to a mobile.
--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

On 18/05/2019 11:27, Dave W wrote:

I have thought of that, but the majority of answerphone messages are not so urgent and I'd not want people to be phoning at work or while driving. I'd prefer that people just left a message, but unfortunately people don't like to use answerphones to let you know that someone is dead or dying.
SteveW

Most don’t, because that is so annoying. Mine just has a blinking led.

Sure, but that only works if you are near the phone.

Problem is that plenty of valid callers also don’t bother to say anything when they encounter an answer phone.
I hardly ever leave a message myself because most of those I call have more than one number that can be called and I normally try one of the other numbers if I get an answerphone. Even when there isnt another number to call, I don’t always want to be called back, I often prefer to try calling again later when it is convenient for me to do that.
Chris Hogg submitted this idea :

Get the make and model, you can then look online for the setup instructions..
On 15/05/2019 07:38, Chris Hogg wrote:

Possibly a setup problem.
You have a few choices -
If they have CLID teach them to answer unsolicited calls with "dead air" - say absolutely nothing after picking up. Confuses the autodialer and if you do get a human it is fun to listen to them being puzzled.
An add on box that sits between the phone and the outside world which screens calls against some black list and internal rules. I have one on my line and then an answerphone which kills most of the rest. There is a big red button on it for "Block last caller". Something like this:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
A phone that has blocking built in. But that might also cause problems if they are very familiar with their existing phone.
If they have no genuine overseas calls then a rule to block them will be highly effective. Likewise for regular nuisance callers - they may be on a suckers list which could explain the higher call frequency.
BT's choose to refuse service which allows nuisance callers to be blocked (but in the hands of the elderly can be risky).
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 15/05/2019 09:21, Martin Brown wrote:

Not any more. International calls from spammers seem to have spoofed UK numbers. I have an (old) caller display unit which logs all calls irrespective of the Trucall phone silently rejecting International and number withheld numbers. In the past I had a lot of cold callers with a International number but in the past six months none at all.

Possibly not if just the basic service is used - just using the BT blacklist and not adding to it themselves.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Martin Brown used his keyboard to write :

They spoof lots of numbers so blocking last caller just builds up a long list of numbers for no purpose.

They rarely present an genuine international number to be able to filter them, more often they present a spoofed UK number, even a spoofed local number to your own to fool you into answering it.