Which cable to us?

Hi all,

I have an outdoor kitchen with a plug socket inside one of the cupboards. I need to run a couple of sockets off this and was wondering what cable to u se? Plan is to largely run the cable inside the cupboard (in conduit) and t hen bring it up above the worktop where it is positioned (will probably bur y this bit in the wall). The other one needs to go up behind a t&g clad sec tion (again in conduit) and then through a brick wall. Sockets will be IP66 doubles.

After doing a bit of searching, as far as I can make out I can use any cabl e - is this true?.I assume the IP66 sockets will come with round glands so would be easier to use round flex but besides this is there anything else I need to worry about?

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

You need 2.5 mm twin and earth PVC to do it right

Reply to
Zephirum

Not really. You can use flex if it is suitably protected, and conduit will do that.

2 sockets, or a twin socket? What will be the load, what is it supplied from, and what breaker size is it? RCD'd? What is the current circuit -ring or radial? You need all this info to advise on cable size/type.
Reply to
Alan

The IEE wiring regulations stipulate that the cable must be of a certain size on a ring main or spur. That size is 2.5.mm it must be earthed so three core or twin and earth but yes suitably protected flex would do.

Zephirum

It's a very easy to work round cable which looks neat where it shows. And cable entries easy to weatherproof with a gland. Sold by the metre.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ISTM that if it's a 13A fused spur the installation method may allow

1.5mm. I'd not make a special purchase of 1.5mm T&E for a small job but if the OP has some waiting to be used up or, as another poster suggested, is going to use NYY clipped direct...
Reply to
Robin

It would depend on the length of the run, but 1.5mm protected by a 13 amp fuse will be fine for most. Especially with surface run cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks all for your help. It sounds like there is no extra requirement for it being outside vs an inside spur?

There will be 2 x double sockets and a light connected off an existing ip66 double socket. This socket is on an outside circuit protected by a separate consumer unit.

As it happens I do have some twin and earth kicking around.

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

If I see naked TW&E outside, it screams cheap job to me - even if perfectly safe. The 'correct' cable doesn't. And is much easier to make a decent looking job of than conduit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Curiously, looking at gland prices, ones that are for flat cable seem to be much more expensive than round ones. The prices vary widely but Amazon see m to have round ones 10 for £2 ish but the flat ones seem more like £3 each. Am I missing something? With this price difference it woukd b e cheaper to buy the Hi-tuff and round glands vs using my spare T&E

Reply to
leenowell

I would assume the flat ones are either more difficult to produce or possibly just produced in smaller numbers thus missing out on cost savings associated with bigger production runs?

Reply to
Zephirum

I double checked a couple of the ones I saw and they don't explicitly say t hey include the rubber cable seal - implying you have to buy it separately. If this is true, it could explain some of the difference but I can't find the rubber seals on their own :(.

Reply to
leenowell

Local water board run 2.5mm t&e along a barb wire fence ... clipping it to it with cable ties.

That made me think cheap job.

Reply to
rick

Hi all,

In my meter box (mounted to an exterior wall so the bloke from the leccy board can read it anytime) there is an RCD (30mA). The problem I'm having is that nearly every time there's a lightning strike within a mile of the house, the thing trips out for some reason. Fortunately we don't get many thunderstorms in my area, but when we do, it's a right PITA having to go outside in the pouring rain to re-set the thing time and again. Any suggestions as to how best to deal with this?

ta.

Reply to
Chris

Is it a 'nuisance trip' or is it doing its job and protecting your supply? I think I would prefer an RCD tripping to a power surge.

Reply to
Scott

It can be a right royal pin. I had this constantly. Any kind of surge and out when the 30mA.

It might have been an earth neutral short somewhere, or it might have been loads of RFI filters on the circuitry.

I uprated to 100mA RCD and put RCBOs elsewhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The trouble is that it is a "whole house" RCD and that the RCD is located outside.

Section 314 of the regs suggests that this installation is possibly not up to scratch.

Reply to
ARW

Yeah, I've never come across one of these inside the meter box before.

I'll take a butcher's. I'm inclined to just disable the thing TBH unless someone can see any issues with doing that.

Reply to
Chris

If you're on a TT earth then obviously that would not be a smart move.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well you would lose the RCD protection that you have. Without full details you may well be looking at a new CU.

Reply to
ARW