Extending single core.

Typical a job just got bigger Having to fit a 200x90 extract duct through an external wall (Timber fame-cavity-brick) Brickwork cut neat, cut inside dry lining fine ... removed insulation and three are 2 single core cables (6181Y 1.5mm2) right through centre of where duct needs to go. Had no option duct has to go though a this point.
It is not an easy job to replace these - would need a large number of 8x4 dry lining sheets removed. No option to remove floor above due to underfloor heating
I have drilled in a new hole in timber frame header (horizontal) to allow reroute.
The is not enough slack in the singles to do this .... and easy solution would be to cut each single and splice in a 12" extension. I can make the cut so this happens above the header plate, and it can be clipped to joist for mechanical support.
The splice ... is it acceptable to solder connect ? .,.... I could solder, insulate & sheath with double layers of heat shrink, and mechanically fix .... simple & neat. Is this acceptable under 17th Edition ?
Not that any inspection taking place .... but prefer to do things right.
Alternative but bulky & not so easy is to splice in with 2 x Ashley J804 junction boxes.
On 22/08/2019 11:16, rick wrote:

If it were me, solder and heat shrink would be a no brainer. I think it's still regs compliant. So maybe crimps are quicker and (even) more reliable done in a factory environment, but in awkward spaces I am very confident of my ability to make a good solder joint. I keep one of those butane "Cooks" torches in my box of soldering kit, sometimes easier than a soldering iron. Plus they are good for heat shrink too.
What do these cables feed, I wonder? Brian
--
----- --
On 22/08/2019 11:16, rick wrote:

Solder and heatshrink is fine. Crimps and heatshrink would be the more commonly used way.

Yup, and the 18th, which is what now applies :-)

Wago terminals and a wago box would also be ok.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 22/08/2019 14:13, John Rumm wrote:

Or Wago connectors in a choc box. I believe the wago boxes are bulky.
--
Adam

On 22/08/2019 17:31, ARW wrote:

Yup true, although the cable grips are easier to use...
--
Cheers,

John.
On 22/08/2019 23:43, John Rumm wrote:

The OP did suggest he could clip the cables. That would IMHO meet the regs without any cord grip.
--
Adam

On 22/08/2019 11:16, rick wrote:

Its a lot easier to crimp and its more reliable than soldering.
Wago push fit would be better than soldering.