Caller-id has no entry for the call

Not really an android or home repair question, but you guys are the closest ngs I can think of:

I got a phone call from a neighbor yesterday. During the call she told me her number but I couldn't write it down and I figured caller-id would have it.

But Caller-id has no entry for her call. It lists the call before hers and the call after hers, but nothing in between. I've checked twice.

Even if she was hiding her number, there would still be a number-less entry in the list, right?

What's happened?

Reply to
micky

sci.electronics.repair has always covered my questions - union and non-union.

Reply to
bruce bowser

micky snipped-for-privacy@fmguy.com wrote:

Does her telco or carrier provide the CID (Caller ID) service? It gets pushed from the caller's side, not looked up at the recipient's side. CID data is determine by the party placing the call. Caller ID is not the same as call number logging. Guess your phone doesn't have logging unless CID data was associated with a call.

"The Caller ID phone number is determined by the party placing the call."

That is why there are "services" available that will let you alter the phone number supplied via CID. This lets the caller hide, or even forge their identity by pretending they're calling from someone else's number (aka spoofing); for example:

I use Google Voice (GV), and they spoof. Others will call me at my GV number, and that calls all my phones which each have their own phone number. When I make an outbound call through GV using one of those phones, GV will present the called recipients with my GV phone number instead of the actual phone number for the phone I used to make the call. That way, callees see my GV number, and it's the same every time I make a call regardless of which phone I use to make the call. My home phone might be 999-555-0100, but using GV to make an outbound call will show me as 111-555-0199. Those called using GV will see me by my GV phone number, not my real phone number (unless I call them direct through my phone's provider instead of using GV with that phone). That way, and after porting my age-old phone number to GV, everyone that knew me by the old phone number would recognize it was me calling them through GV. GV is like a PBX calling all my phones. I don't have to dole out lots of phone numbers, one for each phone that I have. Instead I give out my old phone number, and callers use the same old one they've used for many decades. They're calling my GV number that is my old phone number, and when I call them they still see my old phone number. GV spoofs my GV phone number for my CID instead of passing the real phone number from whatever phone I happen to use with GV. GV is spoofing with good intention. Alas, there are CID services that spoof with evil intention. The provider doesn't care how their customers use spoofing as long as the provider gets paid. In any case, GV is pushing CID on outbound calls, so callees will see the CID. No provider must push CID on calls. It is not legally mandatory. That might change; see:
However, that applies to providers that push CID on calls. Doesn't seem applicable if CID is not supplied on calls.

CID, if and when available, is just the phone number. It may have, but is not required to have, the CNAME (caller name) data. If CID lookup is not available from the caller's side, your side has no number for the call. This like the old scheme where you got a call on a dumb phone, and never knew the number for the caller. When I call using Google Voice, they only support the phone number with their CID data. CNAME is not included, and there's no option to pay to get it added. Unless the callee knows my number, or it's in their contacts list to show on a call, the callee just sees the number - but ONLY because may service provides CID data to the callee.

CID is sent between the 1st and 2nd ring. It's possible you answered the call before the CID data got sent, but you would have to be quick to pick up, so it'd be unusual you don't get the CID. Ask her who she uses for her telco or carrier, and if that provider does or does not provide CID data on outbound calls through their service. If not, you have no CID data to get on her calls. No CID from the caller's service means those calls are blind to you. If your phone has a display, it might show something like "Unknown" (I don't remember the status I see when I receive a call from someone who doesn't provide CID), and perhaps your CID logging doesn't include inbound calls lacking CID (i.e., it doesn't log unknowns).

For example, maybe she is using a pre-paid calling card. The provider might not relay the CID, if available, from the caller to push to the callee. That is, they might ignore the CID, if provided, from a caller using their service, because it could be from any phone: resort, phone booth, doctor's front desk, or wherever, but it's not necessarily from the caller's home phone, if they have one. The provider might not push their own CID since they don't want to be identified as the caller. They're providing the service from wherever the caller might access it. In fact, for pre-paid calling cards, many have you call their access phone number, give them the destination phone number, and they complete the call. They're getting paid. They don't care from which call you initiate a call. They're not going to identify themself as the caller. Likely there will be no CID sent to the callee unless the service lets you configure one.

These pre-paid phone cards are often called burner numbers, and are difficult to trace unless the feds prep a case on an account to get the traffic logged thereafter. But burners are purchased with little call time, get discarded frequently, and why bad guys use them. You would have to know who is her service provider to know if they include CID in their outbound calls.

Reply to
VanguardLH