Catalytic Converters

My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just had his stolen. Some locks are available but they assume the toe-rag is going to unbolt them and not brutally attack the exhaust.

Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause injury to the scroats?

Reply to
John

John presented the following explanation :

A 20Kv PD between car's body and the ground?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote in news:fOs7F.191444 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx15.am:

They shuffle under - they don't mind getting dirty or having proper tools -

2 mins is the usual time.
Reply to
John

tricky to isolate the converter - necessary now tyres conduct well enough to prevent large static differences?

Reply to
Robin

Unfortunately we now live in the age of the battery-powered angle-grinder. I?m not sure how easy it is to make anything proof against these.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Was it stolen as a part, or for metal ?

I thought metal theft was a thing of the past, as "they've done something about it" ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

And the thieving bastards who nick it (and the people who deal with them) have "done something about what the authorities had done about it".

In other words: metal theft still goes on, big time, same people (if you can call them that), same channels.

I was amazed, and distraught, last month to be visiting a tiny church hidden in the hills of the Borders, to be told that lead still gets stolen from the roof every now and again.

John

Reply to
Another John

What I'd like to know, John, is what sort of car(s), and in what region do you live? I thought cats (cars' cats) had not been a target for a long time, now.

John

Reply to
Another John

My neighbour, ex MOT tester and garage owner says only the OEM cats are worth any money to the trade, while the after market ones are not worth stealing.

Reply to
Andrew

SUV/ crossovers have a lot more ground clearance, as do vans.

Something like a citroen DS would defeat them.

Reply to
Andrew

The insurance co that covers churches insists on proper lead as a replacement.

Reply to
Andrew

Older OEM cats still have valuable metal content.

Reply to
Andrew

Local gravedigger left his tranny van overnight at a remote church and the next day the pikeys had ripped open the bonnet and nicked the battery.

They just peeled the bonnet up on one side.

they were probably scouting the church for other metals to take.

Reply to
Andrew

Shows their God isn't as powerful as He once was.

Reply to
Max Demian

Also there are ceramic and precious metal types and places on the net you can access (apparently) that lists those vehicles that have the ones worth having.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Standard MO is smallish child underneath with battery powered angle grinder. There was a spate of it nearby a couple of years back.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Is that after market dummy cats like they sell on ebay, they aren't even cats in the first place.

maybe like

"we are unable to guarantee you will pass the MOT if you fit this".

Reply to
dennis

It is surprising that it still goes on but sadly it does. Smart water seems to act only as a moderate discouragement.

I was told very recently by someone in the know that the insurers and listed building people are now prepared to accept a resilient non-lead substitute although they didn't say what it was. They figure that the damage to the building by repeated tearing lead off the valleys and ingress of water can be mitigated by not having valuable lead on it.

It remains to be seen how well or if this works out.

Reply to
Martin Brown
20000 v on them when parked? Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

Buy a sports car. No room underneath for even a child.

Or something old enough not to need one!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris