bloody computers

Why are the USB sockets on some of my identical desktop computers live when it is switched off and some aren't ?
Jim GM4DHJ ... pretended :

One of my desktops has a mixture, some live some not. I don't think it can be configured. The PSU runs even when the PC is shut down, so it can restart start on the button.
On 22/08/2019 08:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have one USB port that sometimes switches off when I shutdown the computer and sometimes doesn't.
On Thursday, 22 August 2019 13:59:56 UTC+1, Pancho wrote:

Does it depend on whethe ror not a device is on the USB before shutdown ? Perhaps if nothing is found on a particualar USB port then that is shutdown during the shutdown process, but if something is attached anything then it remains powered.
or you could check it against the phase of the moon ;-D
Yes I think many are so you can use them to charge stuff up, but the annoying thing is that as the psu is always on, if it generates crap as many do it goes on generating crap for little use. I am led to believe that some motherboards can be set to allow power to usbs via links and jumper plugs. However it seems many psus have no switch on them so are effectively live in any case because of the button which is merely a small circuit always on. Luckily my main pc is pretty quiet in that mode, but then I did pay a fair bit of dosh to get one that runs cool does not sound like a jumbo jet and is electrically quiet. Brian
--
----- --

Because that is configurable in the bios with plenty of them.
Mainly so you can use wake on mouse movement etc.
On Thursday, 22 August 2019 07:34:48 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

It could be that those diorect from the mother board are need to wake the computer, they also tend to have the higher current capabilities. Are yuo sure yuor computers are identical incluidn gfirmware hardware and even software, perhaps they aren't as identical as you think.

Actually switched off ? Or merely powered down to one of a number of sleep modes not all of which will be called sleep modes.
For some Windows users
https://www.top-password.com/blog/set-windows-to-power-on-off-usb-devices-in-sleep-mode/
Its probably a lot easier in Linux and even easier on a Mac.
michael adams
On 22/08/2019 07:38, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Switch off at the mains and they will all be dead :-)
On 22/08/2019 07:34, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Its to give idiots something to think about.