bloody computers

Why are the USB sockets on some of my identical desktop computers live when it is switched off and some aren't ?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Jim GM4DHJ ... pretended :

One of my desktops has a mixture, some live some not. I don't think it can be configured. The PSU runs even when the PC is shut down, so it can restart start on the button.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

It could be that those diorect from the mother board are need to wake the computer, they also tend to have the higher current capabilities. Are yuo sure yuor computers are identical incluidn gfirmware hardware and even software, perhaps they aren't as identical as you think.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Actually switched off ? Or merely powered down to one of a number of sleep modes not all of which will be called sleep modes.

For some Windows users

Its probably a lot easier in Linux and even easier on a Mac.

michael adams

michael adams

Switch off at the mains and they will all be dead :-)

Reply to
Andrew

I have one USB port that sometimes switches off when I shutdown the computer and sometimes doesn't.

Reply to
Pancho

Does it depend on whethe ror not a device is on the USB before shutdown ? Perhaps if nothing is found on a particualar USB port then that is shutdown during the shutdown process, but if something is attached anything then it remains powered.

or you could check it against the phase of the moon ;-D

Reply to
whisky-dave

Its to give idiots something to think about.

Reply to
dennis

Yes I think many are so you can use them to charge stuff up, but the annoying thing is that as the psu is always on, if it generates crap as many do it goes on generating crap for little use. I am led to believe that some motherboards can be set to allow power to usbs via links and jumper plugs. However it seems many psus have no switch on them so are effectively live in any case because of the button which is merely a small circuit always on. Luckily my main pc is pretty quiet in that mode, but then I did pay a fair bit of dosh to get one that runs cool does not sound like a jumbo jet and is electrically quiet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Did you not hear those reports from rally goers that ran into him?

?It was like rotting fish and burnt hair?

?The stench stung my eyeballs?

?I think he must have followed through at least a couple of times?

Reply to
Stephen Cole

No..But feel free to provide valid examples of those statements.

Reply to
Rambo

it all started when I posted pictures of myself in Oban just after my transplant.....I was wearing the same clothes I wore before the operation when I was just under 17 stone....at 12 stone I looked a bit decrepit in clothes that were too big for me.....but they were clean......and the only person I met at an English rally was Ian Jackson ....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

No - it wasn't straw, Jim. To test your eyes, I would have suggested a trip to the Bishop Auckland rally - but there probably won't be one this year.

Ian Jackson

Yes spennymoore is a good one......well your hat was light coloured then.....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

don't see why they are being cancelled because you can go to indoor markets now......which is all a rally is these days

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...