Marking hex bits to make it easier to find the right one - anyone?

Does anyone think it would be useful to mark hex bits somehow to make it easier to find the right one? In particular a way to find the PZ2 that one always wants would be very handy.

Is there any sort of standard colour coding (I've found a few sets advertised with colour coding but I can't see any sort of consistency).

I was just thinking of marking my PZ bits with a black stripe for PZ0, brown for PZ1, red for PZ2 and orange for PZ3. (Think resistor colour codes, they're embedded in my brain so easy for me). Then maybe a single colour for all Philips and another for slotted as these are less frequently used.

Reply to
Chris Green

Couldn't agree more with the idea.

A number of years ago I painted rings round some of mine. Yellow, cyan, magenta (approximately). Just tedious cleaning them up enough for the paint to stick well. And then doing some more every time I buy any - or find some in another place I hadn't looked.

You've guessed - I just have a few left that have paint rings. And I can't remember what coding system I used.

I really don't understand why some standards haven't emerged.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

You can buy them ready coloured.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Yes, I know, I said that in my original posting. Is there any sort of standard though?

Reply to
Chris Green

Just to add my 2p worth: The boxes the bits come in and back to front. The hex part of the bits is held in the box, with the business end of the bit on display. So, you grab the bit with your fingers and insert it into the bit holder.

Turn them round, so the business end is held by the case, and the hex end sticks up. Then just push the bit holder onto the hex end of the bit. When finished with the bit, push it back into the box in the correct position, and release it from the bit holder.

Reply to
GB

Sounds like a plan. I suspect using the R code is going to be better than whatever colour code some bit makers use. For philips you might use the same basic colours but dilute them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not really, spax use colours for size, wera use it to distinguish slotted/pozi/torx/hex/etc

Andy Burns

I had a simialr situation with keys so decided to stamp them with a number. Perhaps hex keys though would be too tough to stamp.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I'd go for coloured heat shrink rather than paint. Maybe red for PZ2 and yellow for PZ3 (these being colours that I have to hand).

Reply to
newshound

Yes, that's my intention, I have quite a good mix of heatshrink colours.

Reply to
Chris Green

I remember the mnemonic Bye Bye Rosie On You Go Birmingham By Great Western (or Buy Better Resistors Or Your Grid Bias May Go West - Mauve rather than Violet). There's also Bad Boys Ring Our Young Girls But Vicky Goes Without or Bad Boys Ring Our Young Girls But Vicky Gives Willingly (anyone know Vicky's phone number?)

The difficult part is remember which way the Black and Brown go in the mnemonic!

Reply to
NY

very pc compared to the usual mnemonic

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Just remember it's a spectrum, so starts at black and ends in white.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes I've found by a bit of Googling that in the Bad Boys mnemonics, it's normally "rape" rather than "ring" ;-)

It had never occurred to me (and I feel a right pillock that it's taken me nearly 50 years for it to dawn on me) that the order of the colours for resistors was the same as the order in a spectrum (which I remember as Richard Of York Gained Battles In Vain) but with black, brown and grey, white either side of that.

Talking of mnemonics, how about this one for getting spelling of a certain difficult word correct: Died In A Rolls Royce Having Over-Eaten Again. I think it was either Gervase Phinn or Jack Sheffield who mentioned it in one of his books about things that little children say: allegedly one of his pupils had invented that mnemonic. In the US, the spelling is different so it would just be Having Eaten Again.

Reply to
NY

Golly after years of staring at resistors I dont need no mnemonics

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Black is, by definition zero colour; white is all colours.

Reply to
PeterC

Neither do I, actually. Just offering advice.

Not just resistors, either, or other components. Mainframe circuit boards numbered with three plastic dots, etc.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Exactly! :-) (OP speaking) I remember doing colour blindness tests way back in the 1960s when I started work at Marconi Instruments in St. Albans.

Reply to
Chris Green

A fellow student at college invented his own mnemonic which was British Boys Ride On Your Great Big Virgin Girls With Great Stamina.

Reply to
Halmyre

As did I at nearby EAC:-) You might have met my schoolfriend, Ken Pyrah. His most notable feature was grey hair at age 17!

Reply to
Tim Lamb