Try to find right toilet

I have 6" from my wall to my bolts trying to find the right size toliet to buy

Reply to
Rcrowe

Well, you're not going to get any help from those dummies you post through at HomeMoanersHub but you will here at alt.home.repair.

You can buy an 'extender' at plumbing supply shops or maybe Home Depot or Lowe's. It will enable any new toilet to fit your present toilet floor connection.

There are different brands of these adapters and if you don't see what you're looking for at either Home Depot or Lowe's head to a bonafide plumbing shop.

I could have used one of these last year when I did a complete bathroom remodel but I opted for a banjo countertop that extends over the commode tank and do not regret my decision at all. Not only did it cover that 3 or 4 inch gap but it created extra counter space which was greatly needed in this tiny, tiny bathroom.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Only toilets I've ever seen were 12"

Reply to
philo

replying to Rcrowe, Iggy wrote: The only "right size", for a floor outlet toilet, would be a 6-inch rough-in toilet and they don't exist, as far as I've seen. Joan's not right, her solution would only get you out to 8-1/2-inches and those don't exist either. However, do you have a rear-outlet toilet and the bolts are just floor-bolts and not toilet flange bolts? Those toilets, can be found at places like Signature Hardware (

Otherwise, if you have a floor outlet setup, then do yourself a favor and pay some decent coin to a Plumber. Have them change your rough-in to the standard

12" so you'll have the largest selection of toilets to choose from. I personally, have done great with the $100 to $150 store-brand models from the Home Improvement stores...12" rough-in, of course.
Reply to
Iggy

Could you clarify that please? Do you men you installed mny of them on different jobs or you do well whn you have to replace them after a couple of years?

My preference would be elongated bowl, comfort height, regardless of the brand. Slow close seat too. I have Kohler but I'm sure others make good ones.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

+1 on the elongated bowl, American Standard Cub Cadet here, hasn't let me down yet.
Reply to
FrozenNorth

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Iggy wrote: No, I wouldn't say many, but at least a dozen since the turn of the century. Not a one has needed nor been requested to be replaced. I've only just begun to swap-out original fill-valves, which don't have replaceable seals. I haven't even been able to clog the Project Source ones in my house that are 5-years old.

Almost all your preferences are in that price range, you'd just need to buy a separate toilet seat for $30. Some people prefer old brands and American Standard, Delta and Kohler have good cheap options too. But, only after they were all handed their hat by cheapies, just like the paint industry...except the paint companies refuse to improve.

Reply to
Iggy

I don't how true this is but I have read in the past the elongated bowls are harder to keep clean. But my original bathroom is tiny and I don't want anything taking up any more floor space. That being said about 5-6-7 years ago I bought the American Standard Cadet 3, round bowl. Fantastic toilet!!

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I don't see why it would be any harder to clean. I just pour in a little bleach, come back in 15 minutes to swish it around and done. I'm fanatical about clean toilets. Elongated bowls are more comfy for men as we have more up front stuff to fit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No harder to clean, but much less mess and easier when you gotta go in the middle of the night.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

It was just something I read and wasn't too sure how they conducted their study.

Stand closer. It's shorter than you think.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Just sit down and there'd be no mess at all!!

;-)

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

ItsJoanNotJoann posted for all of us...

Pilots with short motor mounts taxi up close...

Reply to
Tekkie®