IKEA wheelchair provision

I want to take my wife to IKEA in Wembley to examine some furniture "in the flesh" so to speak.

I tried to find out if they provide wheelchairs for disabled customers.

I found their website and help sections so obtuse that I end up scratching my head.

Does anyone know from experience?

TIA

Reply to
pinnerite

Long time since I went to IKEA. The US web site says they provide manual wheelchairs at all stores, but there also seems to be a lot of criticism of them.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Select the store at

plus pages 2 ...3... for more stores

Press the guide button for that store

Scroll down to "access guide"

Select "getting help and assistance" and then select "store information"

You may find "To obtain loan wheelchairs or mobility scooters please contact a member of staff on arrival"

Reply to
alan_m

I always took my own wheelchair, which is still in the garage for when the times comes that I might need it. Then again, my estate car could happily accommodate a wheelchair, a folding wheeled walker, two oxygen bottles, a portable oxygen concentrator and various bags to fit to the chair to carry things in.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

My only experience is seeing that the stores I've used *sometimes* had them visible.

As for their website, the following seems to me clear (and typical given the difficulties of guaranteeing availability)

"Loan wheelchairs – a limited number of manual wheelchairs are available inside each store entrance area, a simple sign out process is in place. Motorised scooters are welcome but are not available to loan from stores."

Robin

ask for a rullstol....what a stupid name a bit like the Billy bookcase.....you have to laugh...

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Thank you. That is really helpful.

Hopefully, she will have her hip replacement within the next foyr or five weeks and can return to normal life.

Thanks again. Alan (the other one :)

Reply to
pinnerite

ISTR from when a neighbour had hers done, that she'll not be able to even be a passenger in a car for a while.

Reply to
SteveW

When I was in hospital for a heart valve replacement, I was walking around the post-op exercise route with a chap who was on his third hip replacement. His experience was that recovery was fast, but, like me, he was strictly following the physiotherapy regime. From what the staff nurse said, when she retreated into my room to do her paperwork in peace, that makes a lot of difference.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

We visited the wembley branch last week. The staff were brilliant.

Regards, Alan

Reply to
pinnerite