Road signs

No they don't.

Reply to
Huge

Some of them do as do some car users. Not all car users pay tax.

If TMH has his way you will not allow the kids in the car as they don't pay tax. The VED is the same for childless drivers as for those with children and by the "logic" being used in this thread it is unfair.

Reply to
dennis

A lot of it is just sheer numbers even when drivers aren't doing anything especially stupid like blocking box junctions.

It's difficult to move tons of freight by bikes, but a lot of the short car journeys would be better done by bike, and leave the roads moving more freely for the journeys that realy do have to be done by something bigger.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Dave, You are wrong.

Cyclists who have income pay tax. (even a child with income is liable to be taxed) The taxes pay for lots of things. Everyone who pays tax or rates contributes towards the upkeep of the state.

The state decides how to raise the tax, perhaps even, (as was the case) by having a window tax. Car purchase tax, a sum towards recycling, VED, VAT, (even the taxes get taxed) are what car buyers pay. Some of this goes to maintain and build roads, some gets hijacked for other uses. When cyclists buy a cycle they pay taxes

You as a UK citizen don't get the chance to opt in or out.

We all pay towards those cycle lanes, just as the cyclist pays towards the motorway building and maintainance. When you are on your hols why not have a few days cycling?

Road rage rules!

Reply to
JTM
[snip]

You pay VED to have the vehicle on a road, not just to drive it. When it's on the driveway, it doesn't need tax / insurance

Reply to
JTM

That's income tax, not cyclist tax.

That's VAT, not cyclist tax.

So, what taxes do cyclists pay?

Reply to
Huge

I'm a cyclist, I pay income tax, NI, VAT, VED, duty on petrol, diesel, beer, wine, etc, etc. Though probably not CGT or IHT.

Is your question perhaps phrased incorrectly for the answer you want to hear?

Reply to
Clive George

But it is a tax paid by cyclists

a tax paid by cyclists

they all get used to fund anything and everything. Remember the protesters taken to court for trying to withhold payments on the grounds that they don't support 'the bomb', 'the war in Iraq', 'the M3', 'two weekly refuse collection', 'immigration centres' and lots of other things.

The taxes (including National Insurance) you (or a cyclist) pay are not individually allocated, they are all part of one big pot

Reply to
JTM

Blinkered, lacking at ability to look at or accept different viewpoint.

Hmmm.

Reply to
JTM

And non-cyclists alike. It is not a tax paid by cyclists specifically for cycling. There are none such.

And non-cyclists alike. It is not a tax paid by cyclists specifically for cycling. There are none such.

In other words cyclists *are* sponging parasitic freeloading whingers.

Reply to
Huge

The idea of adopting a position for rhetorical reasons never occured to you? I expect that stupid polystyrene hat has boiled your brains.

Don't tell me you believe in Sky Fairies, too?

Reply to
Huge

That's the whole point, both my vehicles are parked off road, so I could SORN one and drive the other legally, but as I could choose to take either one out on a particular day, I have to have two valid tax disks, even though as only I drive them, both are never on the road (not even parked) at the same time. Basically I'm paying two lots of tax even though only one car is on the road at a time and therefore I'm only getting one VEDs worth of use, because the DVLA can only work in whole months and therefore to benefit from SORN I would have to not use one at all for at least a month at a time.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

In article , Steve WalkerBasically I'm paying two lots of tax even

Totally agree. And even if you SORN a vehicle for a month or two, there's always that unexpected emergency!

Doesn't really affect me now though as we haven't been able to afford #her# car for a few years

John

Reply to
JTM

There are lots of things provided out of taxes, that some members of the public don't (choose to ) benefit from

Reply to
JTM

And there's no tax paid by whiny losers specifically for being whiny losers. If the cyclists don't complain about you not paying tax, why should you complain about them? (Oh yes, because you're a whiny loser. Still, at least you aren't being taxed for it.)

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Last time I rode a cycle to work was about 25 years ago. Last time for leisure about 5 years ago. Each was just occasional use. Helmets? never worn one for cycling. Always when m/ cycling

Now how does it go? Ah yes: The idea of adopting a position for rhetorical reasons. . .

John

Reply to
JTM

Well, about 10% of my council tax goes towards keeping up the roads, in common with most other cyclists.

To be honest, you could more usefully point the finger at heavy goods vehicle as an example of road users who take up a disproportionate amount of room and cause a disproportionate amount of damage.

If anything, cyclists should be given a refund on their tax because of the expense they are saving us all.

Reply to
Jim

mushy Peas Be Upon Him...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As it happens, my wife's car is off the road as she's got a temporary eye problem and can't drive for now and my kit-car is in bits as I'm respraying the GRP bits. For the first time in seven years, we've only got one car taxed.

As to emergencies, thank God her car was still taxed, insured and MOTd at Christmas, as mine suffered an alternator failure and as it was still under warranty, Ford had to fix it - three bloody weeks to get hold of an alternator for one of the most common cars on the road and no courtesy car until the last couple of days.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I think it got stuck behind some fuel protesters on the M4.

*That* is what I mean by "politically unacceptable". Lots of people don't agree with me!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ