Road signs

There aren't any for driving a car either. If you buy the right car.

Reply to
dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth" saying something like:

One should always pass with hand range so the passenger can pat the arse.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ah. The old "I've lost the argument, so I'll call him a poof" ploy.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I know where it comes from, out of my bloody pocket.

Do they bollox. Less than 1% of all journeys are made by cycle but you scrounging bunch of free loaders get special cycle lanes. You should pay for them yourselves instead of expecting people who never use them to foot the bill.

There is no such thing as 'public funds'. Its taxpayers money.

You've completely lost the plot now.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Jeez. If thats what cycling does to you, I'm glad I don't ride a bike.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Aha - so this is why you never break the speed limit

secret's out

Reply to
geoff

HGV's are useful. They delivery every single thing you buy one way or another. Cyclists are simply knobheads with an over inflated concept of their own importance.

They should pay for all these cycle lanes - complete waste of money.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Around my little town, the council has seen fit to put cycle lanes on lots of the footpaths at the side of the roads. These are shared between the cyclist and the pedestrian, whith a white line defining one side from the other. Guess which gets the street lamps and street furniture poles on their side of the path? On top of this, they have even put a cycle path through the biggest park in the area. In my day, you could never ride a bike in a park.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

These are usually the cyclists that can live with the traffic on a road. The lycra dressed ones that I encounter on their country runs take up the whole of the width of the road. I can't wait till I encounter them coming in the opposite direction on a narrow lane round here :-)

You are wrong here, the only thing that screws up the roads is the government. Take note of how you progress through multiple traffic lights. I'll bet you have to stop at red after you had accelerated from the last red light, or you come to a traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing with a push bike crossing. The motorist is legally bound to stop for a red light, the cyclist just doesn't give a fig. Give him a registration plate and cameras to catch him and he might, just might chang his attitude.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

And guess who paid for it? Certainly wasn't cyclists.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I pay for all that stuff round here, and I'm a cyclist. You still haven't quite got the hang of how taxation works yet, have you. Government tax stuff where they want. It goes in a big pot. Stuff gets paid for from it. The end.

Reply to
Clive George

You're not kidding :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

OK. What was your actual cost?

If you think that, then you are very naive.

Many roads are pot holed. How many of the pavemnts are?

Why have the cyclists been allowed onto my foot paths?

If I have to walk on a foot path that I have to share with a cyclist, I will walk on the same side that a blind man would, the one that is clear to an un sighted person. Have you ever considered these poor folk?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Not sure. How much did you pay for it in your area? It's a bit of a complicated thing to work out, since you'd have to work out the budget for it, where the money came from, and proportions from the various taxes we all pay.

Not really - it's a pretty accurate description of it. Ok, I've left off lots of detail like who decides how much gets spent on what, but that's not what we're talking about.

a) Probably depends where you are, and b) Potholes happen because of road wear, which is predominantly caused by heavy vehicles. Most of the time you can even ignore cars from the calculations.

Because some clueless gimp has declared that they are safer there, despite the evidence to the contrary. If you were up to date with the subject, you'd have noticed the CTC hasn't been campaigning for cyclists to be allowed onto these paths, but instead making sure the of the opposite - there are people out there who are desperately keen for cyclists to be forced to use the footpaths.

You're actually allowed to walk on both the pedestrian and the cycle side, in the same way as you're allowed to walk along the road - you don't have to stick to the pavement.

I'm curious - in what way do you think I haven't considered them?

Reply to
Clive George

The man who instructed me on managing compters was blind well before I met him.

He used to make his own computers by wiring them himself. (this was in the eara of the 286 / 386 mother board.) I used to take him out to radio and computer fairs for quite some time before he died an untimely death. I miss him now, even though he died more than 10 years ago. He would lightly hold my arm and then I was his guide. He depended on me in total.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That's very nice. But I'm afraid it's not actually an answer. I'd hoped it would be obvious, but you did raise the doubt so I ought to address it : Of course I consider blind people, same as I consider all people.

Reply to
Clive George

On the same basis shouldn't there be a pedestrian tax. Who pays for the footpaths and pavements?

It is totally unjust for the over taxed motorists to pay for paths and pavements that they don't use.

'Let them eat cake!'

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

No it doesn't. Everyone pays basic taxes. If you want to use a vehicle on a public highway you pay extra taxes. At least motorists do. Cyclists want all the benefits without sticking their hands in their pockets.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They're saving the planet, you know? That makes them superior to the rest of us.

Reply to
Huge