DIY speed signs

I have just had an altercation with a bloke in charge of a portable speed sign. The type that light up and "show" your speed and then either give a happy or sad face.

It showed me as doing 32 MPH and so I pulled up to have a word with the bloke operating the device.

Me "Is this device calibrated because it has just shown me as doing

32MPH, my speedo said 27MPH and my satnav said 25MPH"

Him" Yes, so you were obviously speeding"

"Got any proof it's working correctly"

"No"

"Care to jump into my car (the van has broken down again) and drive toward your sign to confirm my evidence?"

"No I cannot get into your car you might be a pervert"

"I am a pervert but I am not going to bum you, I am just going to prove that your machine is wrong"

"I am sorry I did not mean to call you a pervert"

"You did not call me a pervert, you alleged that I could be a pervert. I am a pervert so free to call me one"

"That would not be correct"

"Oh but I am a pervert, and you can call me one if you want I will not object"

"I don't want to"

"But you were happy to allege that I was a pervert before I told you I actually was one"

"I'm calling the police you are scaring me"

"Do what you f****ng want, just make sure that you get their speed when they arrive in three weeks time, it will give you something to have a wank over later".

Made my day.

"
Reply to
ARW

On Wednesday I was walking towards one of these but on the opposite side of a wide raod. When I was about 30 deg. off it started to flash. I couldn't hear any traffic so looked back - no traffic, moving or parked. Obviously I walk faster than I thought.

Reply to
PeterC

The safe speed depends on conditions and is often only 20mph and sometimes less. The speed limit should remain at 30mph, however.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In one village near here it used to be a 40mph limit, but being Cambridgeshire, they started up with a warning flasher. Set to *30mph*.

Well they couldnt admit they were wrong, so they then put a 100 metres or so of 30mph just to validate the radar thing.

And chicanes, to make accidents more likely...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

AIUI, the latest rules mean that you can't go straight from NSL to 30, there has to be an intervening higher limit.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

That'd be a u-turn from DoT's 2013 guidance on setting speed limits (which is the most recent I know of).

It'd also require every traffic authority to make an order setting a limit of 40 or 50 mph, and erect and maintain the prescribed speed limit signs, wherever a road subject to the NSL transitions to 30 mph. That would of course include every NSL road that passes through a town/village/hamlet with 3 or more street lamps not more than 200 feet apart (so there is a 30 mph limit unless the contrary is prescribed and signed). I've seen no signs of such signs.

Reply to
Robin

That's 15 minutes she's not scamming anyone else ... well done sir !

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That is total bollocks.

Loads ov villages here go straight from 60 to 30

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1, and two fingers to Harry
Reply to