Road signs

So, we've established that poncy coloured lycra isn't for practical purposes, or it would be black or dark blue, and it isn't for safety reasons or it would be hi viz.

Attention seeking is all we got left.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But a motorist still has to be named if their identity is requested from he registered keeper of the vehicle - a cyclist carries no identifying marks on their cycle so cannot be traced in the same way.

They are legally required to identify them. Failing to do so usually results in a penalty, which with the points can cause someone to risk losing their licence and for many that would mean their job and then their home and these frequently lead to marriages/partnerships breaking up, so yes you could say that they don't have to identify them - in the same way that you don't have to bother insuring yourself to drive if you're willing to pay the fine and lose your car.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The point is that it is a way around the EUs disapproval of vehicle purchase taxes - the EU has already suggested that it may ban this registration tax. Registration fees to cover costs are acceptable (as in the UK) additional taxes on purchase/registration are not. VAT is chargeable by all EU countries when importing a new vehicle permanently.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Lots of people pay zero tax and they still get a vote.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Because the new ones were designed by a biker?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The ones you were complaining about - 'striking pink' etc - are higher visibility than the black or dark blue you think people should wear. That fits the advice in the HC, so safety reasons seems entirely reasonable.

It's amusing that somebody who resents government interference in his life so much is desperately keen to regulate the clothes other people wear.

Meanwhile we've had two lovely bike rides this weekend. Lots of people smiling, all happy to see us - even the ones in cars who had to wait a little bit where the road was a bit narrow.

Reply to
Clive George

Shhhh ...

I wasn't going to say that

Reply to
geoff

Wanker. 'Striking pink' or 'a striking green & yellow combo' is neither practical nor safety compliant. Its because you like dressing up.

Nice try, no cigar. I'm not trying to regulate what they wear, just establish why they wish to dress like tossers.

Oh goody. Were there nice little flowers & bunny wunnies to look at? Did you save the ickle planet?

Fuckwit.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

:-)

It saves on doing the wheelies as you pass them.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

However they can be traced.

Reply to
TMH

The cut is practical, the colour is practical, the colour is safety compliant. You're wrong on all counts. Though dressing up to annoy you would be a benefit.

(a dark colour may be appropriate for lying underneath a car spannering an engine - but bright colours work just fine in many other circumstances, including riding a bike, especially since the invention of the washing machine some years ago).

We've established why cyclists wear what they do. The fact that you don't understand it is your problem, not theirs.

Actually there were several bunnies, and the verges were growing very well - bluebell season too. You forgot lambs - lots of little ones bounding all over the place in the way they do. Not sure about saving the planet - we were just out for a ride, enjoying ourselves. The people we met seemed to be out enjoying themselves too. This is how life is supposed to be.

Giggle. Is that the best response you can come up with? Does it annoy you so much that people can have a great time riding a bike, and that other people actually share some of that enjoyment? I would say I must remember to do it some more in that case, except I will be doing so anyway.

Reply to
Clive George

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Clive George" saying something like:

Are you sure they were waving?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

'fraid so :-) It was a sunny day, everybody was out enjoying themselves, nobody in a hurry, all very friendly.

Reply to
Clive George

And how is a cyclist that rides across a pedestrian crossing causing pedestrians to jump out of the way to be traced? With no markings on their "vehicle", unless someone actually manages to catch up and stop them or they stand out in some particular way, they are unlikely ever to be traced, whereas with a car, they can be traced later via the registration plate.

I have certainly reported a bad driver and had the police follow it up from his registration number. I have had no way to do the same with a bad cyclist.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

There are some places where shared use makes sense - even if it hasn't been officially implemented). We have a road near us that is dead straight for

0.7 miles and used to be national speed limit. It has now been reduced to a 40 limit and had cycle lanes painted on both sides, but the lanes for other traffic are too narrow to give good clearance when passing bikes and heavy traffic flow prevents easy overtaking by crossing the centreline. The road runs through farmers fields and has only a few houses at one end, hence very few pedestrians. Many cyclists use the footpath making it safer for themselves, easier for other vehicles and with so few pedestrians, a minimal amount of courtesy from the cyclists overcomes any conflict of interests with pedestrians.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker