Red diesel current price?

As per subject line - does anyone know the price of red diesel in small quantities - 5 gallon or so, collected. I've just bought a gallon from a filling station and paid 95.9p a litre and thought it expensive.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That reminds me. Do you want more used oil yet?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Pretend that was a private email:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

25l drum from local garage 16th Dec =A322.48, 89.9p/l.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

OK so now , how do you take the red out of red diesel?

Reply to
hugh

Fullers earth. However they can still tell even after the red has gone and no I will not tell you how.

Reply to
dennis

Getting the red out is easy. Getting the colourless tracer chemical out isn't so easy.

Activated charcoal *may* do it, but costs a lot more per litre than it saves. Just don't ask me how I know, OK? ;-)

Reply to
John Williamson

The current price is 70p/litre. Check Boilerjuice for prices. Except you won't because I'm in your kill file and hence you miss out. Bwhahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahah heh.

Reply to
Steve Firth

UV dye? Hence the need for UV filtering safety glasses when they run the tests after dipping at agricultural shows etc.

Reply to
Part Timer

A few years back the AA got a lot of complaints from Kent members that their diesel injectors were wearing out rapidly. After much investigation it turned out that a garage was filtering red diesel through fullers earth and selling it as white. Trouble was that a small fraction of the fullers earth remained in the fuel and was sufficiently abrasive over time to do the damage. That was before common rail so I hate to think what it would do to modern diesels.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I know someone who used to make their own diesel using paraffin mixed with oil, not sure of the proportions...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hmm.. we had a number of IBC containers of *stripping* residue tipped on an abandoned waste site here.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The cross-border diesel launderers in the Republic use an acid washing process which creates a large amount of sludge, which the bastards then dump in ditches.

Reply to
grimly4

Harry Bloomfield expressed precisely :

Far too much information, I only asked if what I had paid for a gallon was about the usual price - I had expected about 60p a litre :-)

I don't need to know how to remove the dye, I only want it to burn in the cars FBH - which it is quite legal to do, providing it has a completely separate fuel tank, pump and pipe system.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Separate from what?

Reply to
Tim Streater

on 12/01/2012, Tim Streater supposed :

A completely separate system to the fuel system used by the engine used for propulsion of the vehicle.

Mine presently has a completely separate OEM system, apart from it drawing its fuel from the main fuel tank. So I'm adding a small fuel tank just to contain red diesel for the FBH. Customs & Excise (new name?) agree it is quite legal to do this.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Heads up Harry :-)

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Ta! lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Ah. Right. As in a genny set on the back of a truck?

Yes I, can see its street legal

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fuel Burning Heater ...