Red diesel current price?

OEM? (I know what it normally means) FBH?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tim Streater formulated on Thursday :

Fuel Burning Heater, as in a miniature Webasto oil burner which runs on diesel to heat the coolant up. Lorry drivers call them night heaters I understand.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

TLAs can be a right bugger.;-)

Reply to
Howard Neil

Blimey..on red DIESEL? cant you use heating oil?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, a fuel burning heater burns fuel to generate heat only no electricity.

No red diesel is a 35 second oil with less duty than white (aka road diesel) with additives to make it harder to use and not get caught in road vehicles. Old heating systems might use red diesel (aka gas oil) but not many these days

Heating oil is paraffin a 28 second oil, this is now marked like red diesel with a dye (yellow) and also the invisible markers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So what do you need this for? Or are you planning to invade Russia just now and need this to keep the oil and fuel for the tanks from getting too cold?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Discovery 3s and 4s have them built in.

Reply to
Huge

But with what porpoise? What's it heating up that the engine can't do?

Reply to
Tim Streater

:o)

Reply to
Huge

Quite, the TD5 engine I have produces sod all waste heat idling, as most diesels do. If it's cold, a few degrees or colder outside, and you are waiting for some reason there is barely enough heat to keep the cabin warm. Starting with a cold engine as well you'll be waiting

15 mins at idle before the cabin even starts to warm up. A FBH heats the cabin directly.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have learned to avoid the Nantwich by-pass when Cheshire Show is on.:-)

Reply to
hugh

Exactly! Mine was already wired and plumbed for one as an option, so I fitted one about three months ago. Now I can actually see the gauge movement as it warms up so quickly. They are supposed to help cut fuel consumption too, due to the faster warm up.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Some modern motor homes use diesel rather than LPG.

Reply to
hugh

Don't those hooks hurt your lips? Both of you that is.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And ETLAs can be even worse!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Am I missing something here or are you all a bunch of softies? I get in my cold Dizzle C4, start the engine, and get going. When it's warmed up, I crank the heater up a bit. If it's that cold in the meantime I've got my gloves and coat on.

I could see the point of heating the block up if that saves fuel but once the engine's going that could be done by the battery Shirley?

Reply to
Tim Streater

It can't take much to warm the block anyway. Once my engine is running it only takes about a mile to get the temp up to about 90C. It is supposed to be an advanced design that uses oil to cool the block and water to cool the oil.

Reply to
dennis

Good for you, but diesels take miles to warm up and in the meantime, it can be right pain getting the screen demisted and de-iced and then keeping it clear. Pre-heaters allow you to set a timer or use a remote control, so that by the time you go out to your car in the morning, the engine is warm, the heater is blowing hot air, etc. Auxiliary heaters don't do this, but assist in warming everything up once the engine is running.

I have no problem being cold - in fact I usually stand in my shirtsleeves de-icing the car. I just want to be able to get on my way, with good visibility, ASAP. Hence I am looking at fitting a diesel fired pre-heater.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

as do pd diesel versionsof galaxys sharans and alhambras to 2006 at least - engines dont produce much waste heat -

Reply to
Ghostrecon

That'd be news to all the churches, schools and hospitals, then. As well as all the farmers who settle on one fuel for motive power and heating.

Reply to
grimly4