PRICE PER FIXTURE

Guys, I've asked you this question before and I get all sorts of non-answers.

In my area, the standard rate per fixture (assume track home - not custom home) is $450 per fixture. And for a simple breakdown.... House plumbed using pex supply lines, std. "builders" (cheap) fixtures, and foamcore pipe.

Bathroom #1: Toilet Lavatory Fiberglass Tub/Shower

Bathroom #2: Toilet Lavatory Fiberglass Tub/Shower

Kitchen: Kitchen Sink (no dishwasher)

Laundry: Washer Box

Water Heater

Sewer/Water Line

Total Fixtures = 10 x $450 = $4500 (ie, shit money...not worth doing the work)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Now is that so f****ng difficult? These prices are what to expect for residential construction in North Carolina (Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem area).

What I want to know are average prices in other areas of the country. Can you guys give me a f****ng straight answer without being so god-damned obtuse.

Reply to
Blackbeard

Geezus....Did you have to ask so NICELY? :>)

First of all, I don't do tract houses, and don't touch PEX, and I don't touch foamcore. That said however, I do a few custom homes every now and then. I am in Texas so the illegals do most of the houses and all the tract houses. But here's a breakdown for a typical house I would do and the minimum specifications. If I touch it the piping has to be type "M" copper (minimum) and schedule 40 PVC wastes and vents. We only use lead stubs and lead flashings. Period. The stainless braided flexible supplies, chrome Moen brass and Crane chinaware:

Master WC - 1 Lavatories - 2 (4550) Garden tub - 1 (by others) Shower - 1 (by others)

Guest #1 WC - 1 Lavatory - 1 (4550) Tub & shower - 1 (steel)

Powder WC - 1 Ped lavatory - 1 (4550) +$200

Kitchen sink - 1 +$400 (Americast W/Delta waterfall)

50 Gallon gas water heater - 1

Washer - 1

Gas openings - Up to 7 @ $ 125 each = $ 875

Exterior utilities (up to 60' waste & water) = $ 800

Downdraft = + $ 200

13 Total fixtures @ $ 500 = 6,500 Adds (+'s) & extra's = $ 1,600 Gas system = $ 875 Project Total = $ 8,975

I charge extra for fiberglass tubs ($300) I charge extra for cast iron tubs ($300) Of course I charge extra for fixtures that exceed the price of the quoted fixtures on a "list to list" basis. Utilities that exceed the quote are $ 12 per foot for sanitary up to 6' in depth and $6 per foot for water service. No taps or tap fees.

I may have overlooked something in my hurried response to your so "politely" asked question. If you have any more, ask away. Just try not to hurt my sensitive feelings.....:>)

Bob Wheatley

Reply to
Bob Wheatley

Thanks Bob, I'm just trying to get some bearing on how pricing changes from one area to the next. If my question seems impolite, I apologize for that. I've asked these goofy bastards this exact same question again and again. and typically it turns into some way-off-the-f****ng-mark thread that never answers the original question. So I appreciate your feedbac.

A fellow I know >> Guys, I've asked you this question before and I get all sorts of >> non-answers.

Blackbeard

No problem. It ain't exactly a state secret.:>)

They would need to for their cost of living up there. What's a 1 bedroom apartment up there? $2000 a month? My apprentices here run between $12-$15 per hour, and my Journeymen here run between $21-$25 per hour. Although I do pay more than most. I know some plumbers that are working for what I pay my helpers.

Bob Wheatley

Reply to
Bob Wheatley

That's good money compared to pay-scale in our area. In our area, a good apprentice will make $8.00 - $12.00 per hour. Journeymen plumbers are typically earning $16-$18 per hour. There are a few shops that pay a little more. But the industry standard in my area sucks.

In my area, the contractors have gotten way out of control. They work against you the whole time. They don't pay at all or they'll drag paying their subs out for several months. The contractors in my area really jerk their subs all over the place. Most of them just sorta go with the flow.

I've seen quite a few of my friends get out of the business entirely. The profitability in the plumbing trades in my area are reaching a point of critical mass. The trend towards per-fixture pricing is sliding towards the range of $425 per fixture. There are a few guys out there doing new residential construction for $385/fixture (if you can believe that!!)

Personally, I shifted my focus on commercial work becaue it still pays pretty well. But slowly the commercial side of the construction trades is following that same path. I think I'm about ready to toss in the towel too. I'm not interested in working for chump change. I can stay home and watch TV and make the same money.

So based on supply and demand, what do you figure plumbers in the Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama areas are going to be earning? Surely you've seen all the Katrina damage. There is going to be a lot of demand....but your supply of qualified plumbers is going to fall way short of addressing the need. I've been trying to crunch numbers. The best I can figure is that plumbers in that region, during the rebuild phase, can expect $1500-$2000 per fixture. It may be higher than that as material prices increase by 150% or more. But I don't have a lot of data from which to extrapolate those numbers. Do you have any best-guess on what is going to happen in that region? They'll have to pay out enough to attract out-of-state plumbers to that area. I'm going to leave that good-will effort up to you guys and keep my fingers crossed that all of you get rich. I'm staying home and I'll watch you guys work in the HOT and humid southern sun on CNN. Go on Bob...go get that money!!

Reply to
Blackbeard

My dad was a plumber. I was introduced into this business at a very early age. I not only feel your pain....I live it. It's the same everywhere. I remember back in the 80's that we could not get helpers started into our business because of the imbalance between working conditions and what we could pay and what they could get driving a truck or a forklift. For god's sake it takes less time to become a doctor than a good plumber.

It's the same here. Every d*****ad you work for wants the work done yesterday, for half price, and they'll pay you next year.:>)

That's another problem in our business. We don't share information as well as we should and we end up cannibalizing each other. I can't name all the idiots over the years that start their own business out of the back of a pickup truck, low-ball numbers to get their foot in the door, and end up going out of business a couple of years later. While that does get rid of them, there is a never ending line of wannabe's to take their place. We all take a test to get our plumbing license. There is no such test for us to be businessmen.

Yes. That's why I do very little housing. All you can do at this point is to increase your skills beyond your competitors so you can price accordingly. Information sharing such as this is also something that we as plumbers should do more often.

Insurance companies have great experience in knowing what they can get away with. Don't expect them to pay double or triple what the value actually is.

My best guess is that there may be as high as a 35% premium available. But that's probably going to be about it.

Not me. I'm just North of Houston and my plate is full. Hell, I just met late today about a hospital rehab they want to convert to a facility for the evacuees. That tragedy is exploding into my own area.

Bob Wheatley

Reply to
Bob Wheatley

Because enameled steel is the baseline and ...... #1 steel tub = $80 +/- Fiberglass tub = $225 +/- #2 A steel tub can be set in about half the time of a fiberglass by the time you knock studs out and get the fiberglass T&S level. Besides, the tight assed contractor or homeowner who requests a fiberglass is saving $1000-$2000 in tub surround that they won't need with a fiberglass. Not to mention the sheer pain in the ass of hauling fiberglass one-piece units.

Bob Wheatley

Reply to
Bob Wheatley

Feel the same have been building for 30 plus years

New construction priced by fixture Above good outline Problem some houses easier than others

I now live in rural area moved from DC. Cost seem to high here

On average the charge is 750 per fixture with break down in 1/3.

250 labor 250 material 250 fixture allowance

Usually ice maker and two hose ibis thrown in every thing else is fixture. Water Heater included in fixture cost not larger than 50 gallon Rennai between 1700 to 2500 extra

So a quick break down of 14 fixture is material minus fixtures 3500 Labor 3500

I have installed whole house should be able to do in 2 days rough 1day fixtures add extra day and cost per hour 109 per hour This is usually time it takes for one man

I suppose I our area for legitimate plumber that is reasonable after govt cost business cost probably nets 40 to 50 an hour

None of our one man plumbers are getting rich at these cost

Reply to
john

replying to Blackbeard, #plumber1 wrote: Yes quit being a hole and prob get more help

Reply to
#plumber1

replying to Blackbeard, im2oldBob wrote: I have been a licensed plumber since 1969. I started in New Hampshire in 1964. In 1969 plumbers were using at that time, $400.00 per fixture, in the configuration you outlined. In 1984 I moved to Tallahassee and was a Florida State Certified Contractor. The price per fixture there? $400..00 per fixture. In 2007 I moved to Clyde, NC,( where I built a house meaning I built the house when I say I this means with work accomplished with own hands). In a plumbing code class, the instructor was overheard telling another student that he got $400.00 per fixture! 40 years and the going price is $400.00 per fixture? Look, the bookshelf behind me is full of texts books on pricing and how to books. When I started in this trade (1964) there was only one text on plumbing, The five Starbucks books, red, green brown, blue and yellow, Today information is everywhere and the price per fixture is still $400.00 per fixture! Do you see something wrong with this picture?

Reply to
im2oldBob

[...]

replying to Blackbeard, Jimmy the plumber 1 wrote: Blackbeard, I do big customhomes on the beach and im charging $2000 per ptrap for ci and 1500 for abs.this price includes complete dwv and water.does not include fixtures.roof and area drains 600 each, gas500 per appliance,450 per hosebib, radiant heat $10 per sq.ft.not including boiler. I am one of the more expensive plumbers but not the highest. I lost a contract to a new plumberthat showed up last year and was 30% cheaper . He is gone allready..because of traffic and density.material handleing is a challenge. Its very rare to park on jobsite. I hope this info helps. I can realte to your frustration trying to get info.

Reply to
Jimmy the plumber 1

replying to Jimmy the plumber 1, plumbsmart wrote: Jimmy, I can understand difficulties and the logistics of working on the beach. However, you never indicated what beach? What state is my actual question.

Reply to
plumbsmart

replying to Blackbeard, Sharky aka Rick Gorton wrote: Hi represent Men in Kilts plumbing. Most if not all my work is Time and materials. I live in Sylva, Nc. I pay my guys between 10-15 per hr my Sub's get $25 ph. In new construction we move fast using the manablock system with pex. So, I will look over plans and difficulty of the construction first then decide if hrs are best or fixture price. In new construction one floor is $400 per fixture. But I prefer not to do that due to being able to lose money on bids due to prices increases that can come after bid. This one outfit charges $1500 for just a water heater install when one goes bad and that's not price of heater. I charge $200 with helper. Takes an hour. Te other guy came from Florida to the poor country and he's raping them. My basic charge for me is $65 ph and helper on new is $15. Most around these parts charge much more. I run pex with manablock due to not having to tee off lines and save costs and time. Straight lines from block with no fitting. like running electrical. Water from hot comes out like instant heat. So no need for those expensive Instant heat units and the expense of wiring them to a double pole 60 amp circuit. I could go on and on. 35 years in business and no cell but land line and all know me and the best work. Never failed new construction. Most likely the customer changes plans and I then add for that. Finishing of Laundry with 4 driers and four washers and bid it at $4500 with electrical sub getting $2400 of that and my parts came to $550 helper getting about $200 and me the rest for 3 days work. China Tax from Trump killed my bottom line due to there was that 25% tax and already passed down from suppliers. get your parts now before your taxed to death from our Fuhrer. The economy is going to drop in new homes for what was a month ago say 150,000 dollar job in parts will now be $200,000. Don't you just Love our New Tax? I hate it, its gonna kill us.

Reply to
Sharky aka Rick Gorton

replying to Bob Wheatley, Trip wrote: orange county ca, 48.13 /hr for journeyman but then again my mortgage is 3487 a month...

Reply to
Trip

replying to Blackbeard, Nick wrote: Kentucky here, Im charging $675 per fixture new construction $725 per on full gut and remodels Sewer, water, gas seprate charge (new construction) Sewer $65 per foot Water $35 per foot Gas sleeve I throw in for new construction no cost No fixture at these prices at all, no tubs no surrounds, and now shower pans all extra Water heater new construction $925 Water heater replacement $1100 Nothing in this world wrong with PEX installed properly, very durable and long life span. Absolutely no shark bites ever on my jobs, crimp fittings only

Reply to
Nick

replying to Blackbeard, Thomas wrote: Nobody changes $450 in todays fiscal economy. You're confused with the OBAMA [ Pay your fair share ] economic dump. P-1 Licensed plumbers charge between $650-$750 per fixture add $100 to pitch slop the shower. $1500 - $2100 per commercial fixtures

Reply to
Thomas

replying to Blackbeard, Leftwich777 wrote: Getting $700 a fixture in Mississippi price includes up to 100?water service. That?s on new construction (residential)

Reply to
Leftwich777
800 per fixture I supply dev.pex.and stops/etc.
Reply to
PlumbHustle