Re: Speeding up a stairlift

<snip>

Are you saying yours has a 'dead man's handle' and irrespective of that it *also* automatically stops at each end Martin?
By that I mean I assumed all of them automatically stopped at each end but wasn't sure if they all had a dead man's handle?
The thought was, if they didn't and someone was also trying to use the stairs as the person was using the stairlift and we had the 'Turbo' function enabled there wouldn't be any logical human cut-off intervention already in place?
On a practical note the 'Turbo' may also require a bigger motor, unless the existing ones are typically very overrated?
Cheers, T i m

Mothers has to have the chair mounted control pushed one way or the other all the time movement is required, Let go and it springs back to the centre and stops. Can also be controlled from a remote where the button for the appropriate direction has to be held pressed down.
It also has numerous micro switches on various panels that if they detect an obstruction such as a parcel left on the stairs or a shoe gets caught or the occupant is sitting unbalanced also brings it to a halt.
At times these seem too dammed sensitive as the adjustment has to be just right. End stops naturally override the persons input so they don’t attempt to keep going when they reach the end. Older/ disabled brains don’t always work logically.
GH

I imagined it might be something like that.

I'm guessing for someone else to be able to assist them?

Check.

I imagine that without some pretty complex and interlinked mechanics or multiple sensors (/switches) per action it might be tricky to get such things right.

Check.

"Are we there yet ... " ;-)
So, I guess the 'issue' re making one faster would be the stopping time (/G force) from speed if it detected an obstruction, even if it had 'soft' acceleration / deceleration to a 'turbo' speed under normal circumstances. Maybe a LIDAR / camera collision detection system could be used? ;-)
Wouldn't be an issue for the Grandkids playing on it of course, even if they lost a leg or finger. <weg>
Cheers, T i m

and so that if two people use the chair it can be returned for the second person to use.

Mine has never been adjusted. I've had it 6 years.The thing is microprocessor controlled.

Why are you wanting to make it faster?

You have choice regarding whether the controllers are fixed or just lose like a TV remote control.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

<snip> >>So, I guess the 'issue' re making one faster would be the stopping

I'm not (I don't have one) I was responding to the concept that it often takes 'a long time' for people to get from top to bottom (to answer the door etc), when it could be quicker. <shrug>
Cheers, T i m

The desirable speed is best left to the ones who use one :-)
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

I don't know anyone who uses anything that could work faster who wouldn't have it work faster if they could?
Assuming we aren't talking about something where 'casual' or 'slow' is the ideal speed. ;-)
Everyone I know who has a stairlift (or anyone with a lift in their building or has a car lift etc) would like it to work faster if it was safe for it to do so.
Who wants to waste time doing anything that isn't best enjoyed slowly? ;-)
Cheers, T i m

Yes, but you find that many in the intermediate stage of being able to cope with stairs and absolutely needing a lift find the facility useful to use them as goods lift, basket for of washing etc. Then climb the stairs holding onto the handrail. Mother had ten years of looking after Dad who needed one, it it made life a lot more bearable in having the lift to carry what he sometimes required rather than struggle. A common situations amongst elderly couples I think. There are actually two remotes so you leave one up and one down, others have a hard wired control at top and bottom which requires a little more cabling.
GH

Wouldn't help in our house. The hand rail was removed to make room for the stair lift. The handrail is in the garage along with 40 years of accumulated crap.

The remotes can be either fixed or loose and left to get lost with the car keys, house keys, handbags, purses ...
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Yes

--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Martin brought next idea :

Exactly the same as here! I didn't know they had an unbalanced sensor, but it has detectors on the sides of the chairs, adjacent to the rail, to check for rail obstructions. A sensor on the foot panel, to make sure there is noting on the actual stairs.
On the local control, arms have to be down and the foot panel down, before it will move, but the remote control doesn't car about the state of the arms or foot panel.

I'm amazed they don't insist on the seatbelt being worn. I know nobody who ever puts it on.
--
The problem with today's society is adults are treated like children, children are treated like retards, and retards are exempt from the law.

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 12:31:25 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"

I put mine on.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Why? Travelling at 1mph isn't dangerous. I don't wear one at 100mph in my car.
--
Keyboards used to be expensive and beer used to be cheap.
Now beer is expensive and keyboards are cheap.
On 01/05/2018 14:12, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Good.
Bill
On 30/04/2018 10:54, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Ours does.
Bill
Bill Wright brought next idea :

So, if a person stood at the top needs the lift and the lift is folded up out of the way, there would be no way for that person to call the lift up to them via the remote, without some help? Seems a really odd way to do it.

And downright dangerous.
--
Maybe the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence because that is where the leaky septic tank is buried.

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 14:27:31 +0100, "Jimmy Wilkinson Knife"

In what way?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 13:42:06 +0100, Harry Bloomfield

It doesn't stop mine being called. I think that there is a weight sensor/switch under the seat. I have the circuit diagram some where. I think it was on the maker's website.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland