Speeding up a stairlift (2023 Update)

It beats me why anyone cares. Making a withering comment about responding to old comments just adds to the dross. If someone replies to an old thread: just let it go.

Reply to
nothanks

They're probably not responding to the website but to an old post being reposted years later on UseNet by the Webmasters of Homeowners hub so as to generate content. Where IIRR the original posting date doesn't feature.

Something like that anyway.

michael adams

michael adams

I sometimes do wonder if somebody has actually used an ald thread to start a new one. I see it done a lot in fact. The answer to the actual question I do actually know. Its inertia. When the device starts and stops the jerk could be enough to cause the occupant problems, of course one could have a slow start then a speed up and a slow down, but that is only ever the case on those which go a very long way, not those fitted in houses where space is at a premium, and larger motors and control gear have nowhere to go. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

replying to Jimmy Wilkinson Knife, Goslow wrote: The configuration of the rail for a curved stairlift is key. The first Ascending string has to be long enough to reach the first landing In one piece and the same applies to the descending one to the first landing then it requires just one curved piece to join the two. The seat shouldn?t tip over the stairs which feels quite alarming. Lazy installers looking to save money will just use a standard length rail and just add pieces of rail to fit which slows down the seat if not stop It altogether at each intersection making the ride excruciatingly slow.

Reply to
Goslow

how about replacing the motor with a remote control winch. I am in great shape except my kneecaps move so I can't climb stairs. No way can I tolerate the slow lift.

Reply to
tr_ick

So how old is this one?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I agree with every word, iv’e even thought about changing it

Reply to
Vonnie

I agree as well. You just need a Binford 36HP 110v motor and you can get up the stairs 3 times as fast.

Reply to
micky

The issue is the starting current of the motor with the gear ratio built in. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Nah, the issue is not flying off the chair at the top.

Reply to
Animal

Fredxx

its nothing to do with it being able to go faster but good old health and safety

Reply to
rgpotts@outlook.com

You don't think 60mph is safe? Seriously, they can go several times the speed & still be safe, I've seen such kit. There seems to be the idea that the time of a disabled person is worth nothing, but saving £3 on a tiny motor is great.

Reply to
Animal

Yes, some of the more powerful ones start and end slow but speed up in the middle. I'd imagine this is done by some control electronics. There has though, to be more power taken to do this, I'd imagine. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff