Speeding up a stairlift (2023 Update)

And downright dangerous.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

For 15 trips according to the maker's website

That's what a Dutchman thought until the cupboard he was lifting and perhaps also the chair fell on him and killed him.

Reply to
Martin

and so that if two people use the chair it can be returned for the second person to use.

Mine has never been adjusted. I've had it 6 years.The thing is microprocessor controlled.

Why are you wanting to make it faster?

You have choice regarding whether the controllers are fixed or just lose like a TV remote control.

Reply to
Martin

Not if everything is working as it should. The speed limiter is to allow for a fault, such as the teeth stripping off something in the gear train or, on the lift my parents had, the chain that it used as a rack becoming detached at the top fixing (not probable, but definitely something that should appear in a FMEA).

Provided that would safely detect the occupant falling out of the chair onto the stairs and stop it in time.

I wonder if it only those who don't have to use these lifts that see the speed as a problem. My late parents didn't move a lot faster once they got off the lift.

As Harry Bloomfield says, one thing the healthy are likely to use it for is moving heavy objects up or down stairs.

Reply to
Nightjar

Similar to DWP's Dept of the Living in Wolverhampton, which checks whether receivers of state pensions and benefits are still alive.

A common problem with electric chairs :-)

Reply to
Martin

The drive uses a rack and pinion

Reply to
Martin

I put mine on.

Reply to
Martin

Good when The Bretheren and Jehovas are on the other side of the door.

Reply to
Martin

It's more to do with simplicity, reliability and cost. This is the usual thing of a smart arse thinking he knows more than the experts. :-)

Reply to
Martin

It doesn't stop mine being called. I think that there is a weight sensor/switch under the seat. I have the circuit diagram some where. I think it was on the maker's website.

Reply to
Martin

In what way?

Reply to
Martin

You sod, I?ve got an ear worm now.

Sort of based on A Mouse with Clogs on ,there on a stair.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I'm not (I don't have one) I was responding to the concept that it often takes 'a long time' for people to get from top to bottom (to answer the door etc), when it could be quicker.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The service engineer for Mothers has made an adaptor for his cordless drill.

Might as well, the resale value diminishes quickly, I think there is some sort of code of practice amongst reputable installers that means they won?t reinstall a unit older than (?) years. Mother got good use out of the one installed for Dad for moving laundry,vacuum etc. However when she needed one for herself after moving the old one had to be scrapped and a new one purchased,she hoped just buying a new track would suffice.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Yes, but you find that many in the intermediate stage of being able to cope with stairs and absolutely needing a lift find the facility useful to use them as goods lift, basket for of washing etc. Then climb the stairs holding onto the handrail. Mother had ten years of looking after Dad who needed one, it it made life a lot more bearable in having the lift to carry what he sometimes required rather than struggle. A common situations amongst elderly couples I think. There are actually two remotes so you leave one up and one down, others have a hard wired control at top and bottom which requires a little more cabling.

GH

Reply to
Marland

That's right

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

My mother-in-law had a disability scooter. She somehow managed to run herself over. Unfortunately it didn't kill her.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The desirable speed is best left to the ones who use one :-)

Reply to
Martin

LOL

Reply to
Martin

Interesting! Mine hasn't a mechanical winding knob.

Reply to
Martin