Rapid and DHL

Had a card through the door from DHL saying they'd tried to deliver a parcel, and they'd try again the next day - or to collect from the depot the day after that. And I was expecting a few things by post or whatever. They didn't deliver the next day - I stayed in just in case. So a pain. Yesterday, went to collect it - a special journey. And it turned out to be a f***ing Rapid electronics catalogue that would have gone through the letterbox.

Normally, DHL are usually very good at re-delivering. So is it they were saving time and money with something so unimportant? And why require a sig for something like this?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Normally all couriers require a signature, unless the sender requests differently

One reason I don't use DHL for day to day consignments is that they refuse to accept special instructions

The other reason is, if course, that they are crap

Reply to
geoff

I can see that - so it's Rapid's fault?

Right.

I've not got your experience, but have found them OK for deliveries. Usually get the same driver who is very pleasant. Parcel Farce is the only carrier I've had problems with.

When I moaned to the counter guy that it would have gone through the letter box, his response suggested I wasn't the first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I really can't see why they would use DHL for delivering catalogues

Reply to
geoff

Not in isolation - but they probably have a good deal with them that works out cheaper than the PO.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Go on then:-) My next door neighbour has a note in the door asking that any parcels should only be delivered to no 11 if he is not in.

This is not a slur on me receiving his parcels it is just that I am usually at work when parcels are delivered and the lady at no 11 is retired and is usually at home in the daytime.

I came home early from work one day and Parcal Farce tried to deliver a parcel to my next door neighbour. The driver was able to work out that I lived at no 7 and would not let me sign for the parcel. He also refused to let me sign for the parcel even after I had unlocked no9s front door. I have a key to feed his cat when needed and was stood inside my next door neighbours house when Parcal Farce refused my sig.

Now that is a jobsworth.

Adam.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My Rapid catalogue was left outside the door.

Not entirely true, but you need to file an instruction at their local depot, e.g. to tell them that delivering to next door is OK.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

My neighbour has a note on his door,

"we are not allowed to accept packages for Adrian"

I never said he couldn't (it would be *useful* if he did... ) but since I think he is a cantankerous old sod (and he thinks I am some sort of criminal) I'm almost thinking of sticking a visible reply on my door

"Due to items going missing, please don't leave deliveries next door!"

' ' '

But, we are good folk - and won't stoop to playing his games ...

Reply to
Adrian C

Was it sent by DHL? If so it should have been signed for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's almost worth couriering a parcel to his address, but with your name on it :-)

Reply to
pete

DHL do postal services as well as parcels. Then even have the ability to feed the mail into RM for the postie to actually deliver it to the letter box. The only restriction is the cost as RM has a monopoly below a certain value (what?, I don't know ATM).

Reply to
dennis

But only useful if, in the case of something of little material value sent out on spec - a catalogue for example, can be left and not signed for

Reply to
geoff

In message , ARWadsworth writes

Not as bad as the DHL driver who we stopped while he was picking up from another company in the estate, showed him the (DHL) order and parcel, and he refused to take it because it wasn't on his manifest

DHL had to send another van out specially from borehamwood to watford at

5pm on a friday just to pick this one parcel up

... and I had to wait until 6:30 when the driver eventually arrived to take said parcel

I could go on ...

useless band of fucktards

Reply to
geoff

I do over £10,000 with couriers

I don't have time to piddle about with dinosaurs who can't / wont adapt to suit the needs of customers

Reply to
geoff

Well he sounds a charming fellow. I am not sure I would want my mail to be signed for by him. Tis an ambition though of mine to be one day be a cantankerous old sod. I am going to buy a stick to poke people with and queue jump in shops etc:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

.... whilst jousting allcomers on your borrowed-from-store yet "essential" mobility scooter...

;>)

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Oddly enough, Parcel Force are the only carrier we don't have problems with. They are punctual, fairly intelligent and if they can't deliver or find we're out their sorting office is fairly close to the house so it's not a trial to pick the delivery up on a Saturday morning.

The courier services plumb the depths of ineptitude and "Can't give a FuckWittery". City Link don't even seem to try to deliver. They just claim we're not on satnav (a lie) and insist that I drive 25 miles to pick up the package. Lynx seem to delight in wrecking anything given to them, never had an intact delivery and they *always* blame "inadequate packaging". Most of the others are play knock and run away games.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have added your suggestion to "the things to do when I become an old git list". A pity that I will not be able to say/shout "during the war" or "in old pence that only cost".

I actually do wonder what people my age will be able to shout about when we do get old.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"HELLO"

"GOOD MORNING!"

"YOU GONE DEAF, TOO?"

"YEAH, THAT BLOODY APPLE IPOD DID ME EARS IN! YOU TOO?"

"NAH, ANGLE GRINDER..."

Reply to
Adrian C

You can buy some Gulf war stuff on Ebay cheap, put it in an old suitcase, and keep it to bore the great-grandchildren with.

"a long long time ago, before the euro was pegged to the renminbi..."

Owain

Reply to
Owain