Question about energy cost (2023 Update)

Once you have DAB, you are running a processor which you might as well use to demodulate the FM too.,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Good luck with a portable crystal set. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I have one, for FM, so that's what I listen to by choice.

There is very little (if anything) on DAB that isn't on Freeview anyway.

Reply to
Andrew

Using rechargeables might be a little bit greener.

Explain the price paid for energy content to her. AA cell is ~3Ah at 1.5v = 5Wh AA Cells needs 200 of them 1kWh = £35

Mains electricity is presently 20p / 1kWh

A mere factor of 200x more expensive!

An FM radio also has the advantage that current draw is strongly correlated with the volume control. DAB burns lots of power just to decode the signal even before you amplify it to audibility.

Those numbers are about what I see with mine. Sadly my old Sony worldband FM radio gave up the ghost a while back :(

The DAB radio ran through my entire stock of AA batteries during the great Northern Powergrid blackout MFU that they blamed on Storm Arwen. One set every 8 hours. The FM radio would last a few weeks per set.

I actually had to go out and buy some more!

Reply to
Martin Brown

Only for bulb customers who are being subsidised by the taxpayer

Reply to
Andrew

And people still on fixed price contracts at other companies that haven't quite gone bust yet. I guess 30p/kWh might be about current market rate. The CEO of my supplier was pleading hardship yesterday.

Even at the new rip off prices batteries are two orders of magnitude more expensive! Mains power is always better if you can have it.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Hello everyone, I'm the founder of the blog

where I share expert articles on topics useful to tech enthusiasts.

Reply to
KIDS PLAY

пятница, 29 апреля 2022 г. в 10:42:17 UTC+2, Scott:

Hello everyone, I'm the founder of the blog

where I share expert articles on topics useful to tech enthusiasts.

Reply to
KIDS PLAY

пятница, 29 апреля 2022 г. в 10:42:17 UTC+2, Scott:

Hello everyone, I am the founder of the gardening blog

sharing expert articles on topics useful to garden and flower lovers

Reply to
KIDS PLAY

Hello everyone, I am the founder of the gardening blog

sharing expert articles on topics useful to garden and flower lovers

Reply to
KIDS PLAY

Hello, I am

I share expert articles, reviews, I will be glad to every reader

Reply to
KIDS PLAY

суббота, 7 мая 2022 г. в 11:04:32 UTC+2, charles:

Hello, I am

I share expert articles, reviews, I will be glad to every reader

Reply to
KIDS PLAY

I would suggest those figures have to be wrong. A microwave oven is much less than 100% efficient, in turning electrical energy into heat. A kettle, by it's very design, turns all of the energy into heating the water, except for any losses via the container.

I use the microwave for heating some food, which suites microwave heating - not all do. I also use it for heating a cup of milk for a drink, simply because it is the least messy solution.

Kettle is reserved for boiling water needs.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Me too. I tend to only use the bathroom washbasin for hand-washing. When I need to wash my face, I lean over the edge of the bath and run the electric shower.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

That's nice dear..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Yes I corrected my post in April saying my microwave readings were in serious error but the electric kettle vs gas hob readings were valid.

Gas hob and electric kettle were similar figures BUT an electric kettle turns itself off whereas manual intervention has to be applied to a kettle on a gas hob. Just boiling just a cup of water on a gas hob and if you are 15 seconds tardy in turning off the gas the electric kettle wins out every time.

Reply to
alan_m

I would not attempt to dispute your gas readings, though I wonder how you are managing to measure such small amounts of gas consumption?

My indoor display is accurate on longer term consumption, but hopelessly inaccurate for short term measures. Basically, nothing at all registers, unless a burner is left burning for a considerable period.

The best consumption figures I can use for such small consumers, is the gas hob manufacturer's figures for Kwh, plus timing to the boil.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Most jug kettle are able to boil just 0.5L of water, which is 2x cups. A microwave can boil one cup, but they are maybe 50% efficient. Energy/cost wise not much different, so really down to convenience for small water volumes, plus wear and tear. I would suggest much more wear and tear cost to a microwave.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

You also post completely unrelated spam, in threads of newsgroups.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

This household used mugs for tea/coffee and the jug kettle can heat just one mug full however filling to the correct level from the tap is not that accurate. Possibly a bigger problem for a gas hob kettle being filled directly from the tap and which has no transparent filling scale on the side.

My current microwave is also a grill/oven and so switching on the microwave also switches on a light and fan.

Reply to
alan_m