Question about energy cost (2023 Update)

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, at 10:31:48 on Fri, 29 Apr 2022, alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> remarked:

The issue of "Vampire devices" - although I think that catchy name is fairly new - crops up regularly. And is often bad science. For example mobile phone chargers which might have consumed energy 20yrs ago when a transformer in a wall-wart, are unlikely to use any significant power when using switched mode technology.

Of course, if they did, then every one of those 13A outlets with a pair of USB charging sockets would be vampires. But they re completely cold to the touch.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Mine IHD has never shown costs accurately but it does show real-time consumption so it?s still useful as a guide to what you?re using at any moment.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 22:18:04 +0100, Steve Walker snipped-for-privacy@walker-family.me.uk> wrote: [snip]

There are some interesting ideas out there. Friend of mine is now using a battery powered radio to save cost of mains electricity.

Reply to
Scott

:) :)

If the idea came from facebook it must be true.

Reply to
alan_m

Have they costed the battries? It used to be 10x mains, perhaps 5 times as much now.

Reply to
charles

Agreed, but the elephant in the room is the cost of coffee. I'm all for energy saving, but making an investment when your favourite coffee is on offer - or by buying larger sizes - or choosing a different but good enough coffee - or combinations of those strategies could, should, save way more than "a penny a day".

Ditto, tea.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

It's useful to prod people into thinking about what really needs to be switched on 24/7 whether it is in standby or not. You may only make a grand total of 10W saved per house but multiplied up to 5000000 homes and that's 50MW a day.

Reply to
mm0fmf

The 'greenie' estimates for cost of standby mostly seem to assume a gross cost of 24/7/365, rather than the marginal cost (i.e. when not in use) which is a bit less.

Reply to
Bob Eager

5M homes won't be saving 10W
Reply to
Jock

A kettle is far more 'efficient' at heating water as virtually all the energy is used for that purpose.

Whether it is cheaper depends on the cost of the electricity against gas.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I checked teh consumption of my old TV which was compliant according to the handbook. If switched off by the remote it still consumed about 30w. this dropped to <1w (but more than zero) when the off button on the set was pressed. There's standby and standby, not necessarily the same.

Reply to
Brian D

I checked my gas kettle against my electric one some time ago. The cost of boiling enoigh to make the tea was remarkably similar due to the better efficiency of the electric kettle. The gas kettle was no doubt more efficient at heating the room but would need more ventilation.

Reply to
Brian D

In message <t4j0h6$hvd$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 10:46:13 on Sat, 30 Apr

2022, mm0fmf snipped-for-privacy@>> although I think that catchy name is fairly new - crops up regularly. >

Are we in danger of confusing MW and MWh?

Anyway, 50MW is a tenth of one coal-fired power station, or about 20 large wind turbines, or consumption-wise about ten Eurostar trains. It's all a bit in the noise level.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

Our Quooker would appear to be the ultimate in Vampire loading and I confess to resisting the installation! However, apart from the expected annual de-scale, I now confess to being a convert. Not just my instant cups of Tea but how much use it gets by SWNFI during normal catering and washing up activities.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

But how long did you monitor it for? I have a vague recollection that some appliances have a two-stage ?shut down? and will drop to a lower standby consumption after a period (maybe after checking for OTA updates?).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I doubt the gas kettle was more efficinet. Feel above and around it for wasted heat from the flame, and compare to an electric kettle.

Efficiency and cost ain't the same thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Just how old is that TV? 30w is more than many take when working. And the majority of the power is used to 'light' the picture.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

My pvr takes about 30 seconds to go to deep standby. it saves the EPG etc. to the hard disk so that it can boot to the same state later.

Reply to
alan_m

Read the whole sentence.

Reply to
Brian D

I tried to advance this argument but she said batteries are not very expensive and last a long time. She also suggests that a battery powered FM radio will be a lot more efficient than any DAB radio.

Reply to
Scott