Question about energy cost (2023 Update)

In the grand scheme of household electricity costs I don't believe that making cups of tea by whatewver means is very significant. Even boiling a full kettle only takes three minutes or so if I remember right. That's 2.5kW * 3/60 hrs, i.e. about .125kWh, 5p or so.

It's fridges and such that are on all the time and bulk water heating that make the costs mount up.

Reply to
Chris Green

three cups of tea a day

0.125 x 3 x 365 = 136kWh/year

Typical manufacturers figures

Under counter fridge = 120kWh/year Under counter freezer = 190kWh/year

American style fridge/frezer = 400kwh/year

Reply to
alan_m

Not those with the element below a flat base.

My kettle has a transparent scale, but it doesn't go down to two mugsful, and even if it did the bottom of the handle would be in the way. Anyway, the simplest - and most accurate - method of getting one or more mugsful is simply to fill the mug with cold water and pour that into the empty kettle.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

My smart gas meter displays cubic metres to 3 decimal places. Boil 3 pints of water (rather than i cup full) and reading the delta change on the gas meter. Then, convert to kWh using the formula on the gas bill.

Reply to
alan_m

While the remote display for smart meters may be updated quite fast for electric the consumption the gas may only be updated every 30 minutes. Probably to save the gas meter internal battery which should last a nominal 10 years. The electric meter has it's own source of power from the national grid so is not power restricted in the same way :)

The actual meter has a mechanical button where you can get the meter display to provide the up-to-date information in cubic metres to 3 decimal places.

Reply to
alan_m

I'd have at least 10 hot drinks a day if I stay at home, 4 if I don't. I don't think I'm *that* weird . . .

I use one of these kettles:

Heating to 90C cuts done the energy use a lot (although I only use it with instant coffee and some teas), and the insulation does actually work/make a difference. Eye wateringly expensive to buy in the first place though.

Reply to
RJH

"Lid opens at the touch of a button" is an immediate no-no for me. Every kettle I've had with a spring-operated lid has failed after a few years, whether cheap or expensive. Either pressing the button will not open the lid, or the lid will not stay closed.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

In message <tmsgh9$rcr3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 11:07:21 on Thu, 8 Dec

2022, Harry Bloomfield Esq snipped-for-privacy@harrym1byt.plus.com> remarked:

What is the remainder of it turned into - light, sound, or something else?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Well heat in the electronics - the magnetron mainly. A bit goes as stray RF

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The obvious thing to do if you care is to fill the mug with cold water and tip it into the jug and heat the water there.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Oh if you leave it boil it'll overflow & put the gas out :)

Reply to
Animal

IME jug kettles have no trouble boiling one mug exactly, about 0.25l.

Reply to
Animal

Heat. not in the mug of water being heated.

Reply to
chop

It's best to just ignore these clickbait things.

Andt

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Hey everyone, I'm the backbone of the Racing Blog, where I share expert articles on useful topics.

KIDS PLAY