Question about energy cost (2023 Update)

My Sony TV (bought in 2012) only goes into "proper" standby after 7.5 minutes. Presumably in case the user changes his mind and wants to turn it on again. The USB sockets (one of which I use to power an LED strip behind it) remain powered up.

It's the lack of attention to details like this that leads to talk of "zombie devices".

Reply to
Max Demian

It's more complicated than that with a single cup of hot water.

There is no wasted hot water when done in the microwave, there will always be some unused hot water with most kettles because most need more than just the cup of water in the kettle.

Reply to
Jock

Most modern kettles have a flat plate element at the base of the kettle and can boil a single cup of water. Operated this way you possibly need to clean out the flaking limescale on a regular basis.

Reply to
alan_m

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote

None of mine do and they are all modern kettles. And those will lose heat thru the base of the kettle which is why not all modern kettles are done like that, particularly the ones you just lift off the base that supplys electricity to the element.

Reply to
Jock

All the kettles that I've seen that lift off the supply base have flat plate printed elements. They allow a very small amount of water to be boiled.

Reply to
alan_m

ROFLMAO

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

None of mine do.

But waste heat thru the base.

Reply to
Jock

What does "50MW a day" mean?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Strange that when I boil a mug of water in my kettle the base remains remarkably cool! The plastic sides of the kettle above the element are warm to hot but not the base. Perhaps they have come up with a novel idea of building some insulation into the kettle beneath the element? Perhaps because the element has such a large surface area that boils water so fast that the base of the kettle hasn't got time to heat up before you use the cup of water?

Reply to
alan_m

hand-cranked radios are still on sale

Andrew

Out of interest I plugged ny Panasonic inverter combi-microwave into a power meter and it uses about 0.3 KwH over a 24 hour period when used for cooking veg (potato, sliced carrots, leeks) and maybe heating some liquids a couple of times a day.

Today I warmed up a Higgidy pie that needed 25 minutes at 200C and it used 0.48 KwH of power. On standby it uses 1w.

Reply to
Andrew

And boiling 1.5l of water and not poring it out for 5 minutes the base remains cool.

Reply to
alan_m

Any FM radio will use less power than a DAB one.

Possibly because there's nothing on FM you want to listen to of course....

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

My little FM radio runs on a couple of AA batteries that seem to last for 6+ months.

My postable DAB radio has 10 rechargeable AA size batteries that last for 8 to 10 hours - albeit the radio is now a few years old.

Reply to
alan_m

Well I prefer FM because I object to listening to bubbling mud if I try and listen to the same program on DAB.

Reply to
Andrew

get a proper aerial

Reply to
charles

And AM even less.

As a youngster starting work, I bought an AM radio kit. In 1962. A PP9 did about 2 years on that, used every day. 750 mW output to a 7x4 speaker, so sounded quite reasonable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

and a crystal set, none at all.

Reply to
charles

Except this (although it is both DAB and FM):

Battery life (JEITA)*

DAB reception Approx. 17 hours (using Sony (LR6SG) alkaline batteries) Approx. 7 hours (using Sony (NH-AA) Ni-MH 1,000 mAh batteries)

FM reception Approx. 17 hours (using Sony (LR6SG) alkaline batteries) Approx. 7 hours (using Sony (NH-AA) Ni-MH 1,000 mAh batteries)

Reply to
RJH

My DAB radio works off a usb charger, so when away from the mains I use a mid-capacity (&rechargable) usb power brick. Not internal, but saves faffing about with lots of AA's.

#Paul

Reply to
#Paul