Puzzle of plastic

Get a filter jug to keep in the fridge. Keeps it chilled too, so you don't have to waste water running it. You only need to do it for water you drink neat - tea and squash can be made with tap water unless there's something seriously the matter with your supply.

Reply to
Max Demian

Get busy with the fizzy then.

Reply to
Max Demian

Soft drinks are a different product. Water is water.

Reply to
Max Demian

(Nasty idea. They'll fall over and spill.)

Reply to
Max Demian

Wine in polythene bags would save even more. But those aren't what most consumers want in a wine product.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Better drink it up quick, then

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Like most of the front section of the chemist shop.

Reply to
FMurtz

OTOH there may well be a move away from ecocrap as the issues involved with it become impossible to lie about

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It doesnt. Methane IS biogas. All gas and oil - unless you are an abiotic 'believer' are biological in origin.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ROFLMAO!

A True Believer!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

North sea gas was made from something growing, and presumably it did take the carbon from the atmosphere so it is carbon neutral.

Its just time we put it back to help plants grwow.

It's just recycling plant waste to plant food.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, for a start most of my milk still comes in glass bottles because its delivered. The problem with glass is that its heavy to transport of course and it has to be cleaned every round trip. Cartons are now recyclable it seems so I do that, as with cans and plastic food containers. The problem with recycling is that sadly the same carton cannot be cleaned and sterilised, it needs to be melted down into something to make something else and there seems a finite number of times you can do this, probably more energy hungry than sterilising a bottle , but I've never seen a comparison. Paper bags are fine, and still with us of course but they are a pain if you walk to do your shopping and its raining.

I personally think the pre packed food with plastic over it is probably extremely wasteful also they fill the package with gas of some kind to help preserve the contents.

The universe likes to make disorder from order and this is why there is so much plastic around the environment. Its not good, but what can we do, the cat is out of the bag so to speak. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well thass my point and was why I was pressing Nightjar to spell it out: biogas is just gas produced from crops, and, as with biofuel for cars, will require shitloads of land to make enough, with a wonderful wildlife-sustaining monoculture.

Someone mention using foodwaste. Well I suppose we could take the crops grown on the shitloads of land, make food from it AND THEN NOT EAT IT but shove it in digesters instead. Works for me.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Nitrogen, I imagine. Harmless as 80% of what you breathe is nitrogen.

Reply to
Tim Streater

OK with me if the bag is in a cardboard box with a tap.

Reply to
Max Demian

at 0.1W per square meter...

The whole ecoleft shit depends on state education having made meeja studdies more mandatory than mathematics.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Meat is sometimes packed in pure oxygen to keep it pink. They demonstrated this in "Bang Goes the Theory" I think with a glowing spill.

Reply to
Max Demian

Vegetables need to be put into something, especially if multiple. (I don't mind sticking a label on a single courgette.) Supermarkets won't trust us with paper bags: Tesco (used to) provide paper bags with a plastic window for mushrooms.

The plastic trays for fresh meat and fish can't be recycled easily as they are usually black which is the same colour as the conveyor belts and have a different plastic for the clear lid.

I need to see what it looks like; not every store has fresh food counters and the operatives aren't very good at cutting a precise amount of fish.

Reply to
Max Demian

I dunno about bang; a glowing spill shoved into pure oxygen will simply burst gently into flame.

Reply to
Tim Streater
<snipped>

Dual function. When empty and inflated you have a 'Glasgow Pillow'.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur