Puzzle of plastic

When I was a young man, a long time ago, bottles were glass and bags were paper. Why cant the supermarkets revert to those? Bottles were returned and paper used to light our fires. Then we moved to gas (mainly) central heating, Now that is a no no. Incidentally what will happen to the businesses that primarily sell gas appliances? Will they be compensated?

Reply to
Broadback

Append um. What happens to all the rubbish collected by the latest clean-up campaign?

Reply to
Broadback

Domestic gas is to be banned in a few years.

Reply to
harry

No it isn't.

Reply to
dennis

Glass is heavier than plastic, but I suppose someone might develop lighter weight tougher glass.

Morrison's is moving back to paper.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What's so magic about biogas? How does it differ from methane?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I can just about remember how well that didn't go, and that was with the Gas Board.

Now I expect it would be something like the smart meter fiasco.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

They already did, the small thin bottles used for continental style beer in supermarkets being an example.

Reply to
newshound

OK. That still leaves the weight issue, although I'd be in favour of banning plastic bottles either way.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Cheaper, lighter, safer. The problem is not the bottles, it is the people who don't take care disposing of them.

Reply to
newshound

Banning the sale of bottled water would be a good way to save some of the environment. It really isn't needed.

Reply to
dennis

Which means the problem is the bottles. Forget pie-in-the-sky dreams about "getting people to do the right thing". They never have and never will.

Nice thing about glass is it degrades back to ... sand.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Pretty much +1. Although fizzy water is nice, it's what we buy.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Most isn't. The same is true of coke, fizy orange & all the other soft drinks. I think you'd have an uphill job banning them all.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The best way to lighten a material is to perforate it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

What if your tap water is horrid to taste?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You can get a filter or if desperate a Revere Osmosis machine. Actually pure water is meant to taste foul!

Reply to
Fredxx

Banning TV would save more, think of the electricity that would be saved. Lots of things could be banned that we don't need to survive.

Reply to
Chris Green

Do it when the bottle is full - holey water!

Reply to
PeterC

If it's made from something growing, it'll take the carbon from the atmosphere so it'll be carbon neutral.

Reply to
Max Demian