OT: LPG PRICES

My contract with Calor will end shortly. The are offering to renew at 68.5p per litre. Flogas are offering to supply at 35p per litre plus £60 pa standing charge. On the face of it this is a no-brainer, but as a deeply suspicious and pessimistic person, much given to prognostications of doom, I'm wondering if there's a gotcha. Does anyone have any experience of changing to Flogas; any snags or unexpected costs?
Bill

No experience but as a company they’ve been around a good few years.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 13:48:30 +0000

They seem to be fine. They are THE supplier of Calor Gas around here, I have two 19kg bottles to feed the cooker hob, and Flogas come to change the empty bottle when requested. My neighbour's house is heated by Calor (and wood fire), and I have never heard of any problems.
Calor Gas were a pain in the proverbial, but that was many years ago, before the heating system was changed to oil, and they might have improved.
--
Davey.

On 23/03/2019 14:14, Davey wrote:

Is there any reason you don't use the 47kg bottle size? The price of gas literally halves when going from 19 to 47kg and becomes comparable with fill charges for a large tank.

I hadn't realised that 47 kg propane cylinders were about the same price (per unit weight of gas) as a large LPG tank: I'd assumed that the latter was a much cheaper way of buying gas.
My parents' holiday cottage (where my wife and I have been living until we can move into a new house) has 2 banks each of 2x47 kg propane for its heating, probably because that was more economical than an oil tank (with the tank's large initial cost) for occasional use of a few weeks in the summer. Having lived there a year, it's definitely *not* a cheap way to heat a house :-(
The changeover valve between one bank or 2 cylinders and the other has been a source of great frustration to us. It switches over automatically, and we can only assume that the changeover pressure it set so as to use up as much gas as possible, to avoid returning part-filled cylinders. But the indicator of the need to replace the cylinders is a flag which changes between green (full) and red (empty) and which can be switched over between banks of cylinders to show the state of each bank. Several times we've completely run out of gas, with the indicator showing green. We've had a heating engineer out who as tested the valve and found it to be working perfectly. But this last time, the Calor delivery driver proved that the indicator was faulty: for one bank the indicator is ambiguous (it doesn't completely flip from green to red) and for the other bank it remains green even with the hoses to the cylinders disconnected and therefore at atmospheric pressure.
Now all I need is to get in touch with the heating engineer and get him to replace the valve as having a faulty indicator - but he's ignoring phone messages and the other people who advertise locally say they don't have a "ticket" for bottled propane/LPG gas installations, only for mains methane.
On Saturday, March 23, 2019 at 3:36:06 PM UTC, Fredxx wrote:

ut

I just want to check, a 45 kg bottle of gas here costs 100 pounds. I have b ottles here, can I usually get the lorry that refills the big tanks to rech arge the 45 kg cylinders?
There is something called a self fill where you take your empty bottle to a garage and use their LPG pump to fill your bottle as if it was a cars log tank.
A Google session should find it....
Pay the same price per litre as all other LPG drivers....
On Saturday, March 23, 2019 at 6:43:11 PM UTC, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

I looked at that last weekend, according to calor it is not legal. https://www.calor.co.uk/news-and-views/calor-warns-about-unlawful-filling-of-lpg-cylinders-at-autogas-refuelling-sites
On 23/03/2019 19:00, misterroy wrote:

It seems there should be a subtitle to that page where Calor warns that it might also seriously damage their profitability!
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm wrote:

Get a fork truck or digger gas bottle and fill it at the gas, petrol station.
misterroy laid this down on his screen :

You are allowed to refill self refillable bottles. They use such systems on motorhomes and caravans, I think the name Safefill might give some clues.
On 24/03/2019 03:51, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

There are several, Safefill (as you say), Gasit, is another. While refilling is cheap, the initial cost is high- a Safefill 10kg cylinder is about £175, with a 10 year nominal life, you need to factor that in.
I see motorhome users singing the praises of such systems in terms of savings but I wonder how much propane they use. We've been motorhoming 6 years and not spent £175, on propane. (We only use gas for cooking.)
Of course, for motorhomers there is also the advantage you don't have the issue of changing calor bottles in Europe- where it simply isn't possible. However, carrying (say) a French bottle is much cheaper than converting to refillable.
I've considered converting but more for convenience than cost in our case.
--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 15:36:06 +0000

The bottles and the valve are installed in a little lean-to, which is sized for the 19 kg unit. The cost of rebuilding the lean-to would not be worth it. And it would look odd, the current setup is just right, and the roof provides a very useful working garden shelf. But thanks for the suggestion.
--
Davy.

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 13:48:30 +0000, Bill Wright

I was with Flogas for 18 years until I moved house last year. Apart from an initial hiccup when I first moved there, probably a misunderstanding at both ends, they were fine. I assume you have a bulk tank, owned by Calor. When chatting to the Flogas man not long after we moved in over there, he said that if you change from Calor, not only do they take the tank away, but they squirt expanding foam down the pipe connecting to the house to make it impossible for it to be re-used, and the whole length has to be replaced with associated disruption and upheaval. If you're just on individual bottles, that probably won't happen but I wouldn't like to guarantee it.
Flogas own any bulk tank they supply, and regularly (like every 15 years in my experience!) check it for flaws, corrosion etc. and if they find any imperfections, they replace the tank at their expense, transferring any gas in the old tank into the new one, with some losses that they should credit you with. There is a quarterly charge for tank rental of about £16, over and above the supply of gas. That equates approximately to your standing charge of £60 p.a. In recent years, our tank was fitted with a couple of radio sensors that were satellite-linked back to base somewhere, that told them when the tank was getting low, and they'd come and top it up without being asked.
The last bill I had for a top-up was in October 2017, for 945 litres @ 67.19p/l, cost £634.95, VAT @5% £31.75, total £666.7 . Their figure of 35p/litre looks suspiciously like an 'introductory offer' to me, and will probably revert to something a lot higher in a few months. Read the small print!
But all together it seemed a very competent operation.
--

Chris

On 23/03/2019 15:09, Chris Hogg wrote:

I would suggest that is criminal damage. The pipe between the tank and the house is usually the householder's responsibility.

Hmm...perhaps twenty years ago Calor owned the pipe all the way to the house and things have changed. Or perhaps it was just a ploy to discourage me from even considering Calor as an alternative. I suspect the latter.
--

Chris

Chris Hogg wrote:

That sounds like the bad-old-days, now the gaining supplier will buy the bulk tank from the losing supplier (provided it's not on its last legs)
On 23/03/2019 13:48, Bill Wright wrote:

There have been many radio programs about LPG prices, especially for those folks with tanks under their lawns. many of these in Devon.
It seems that everyone pays a different price, so the solution is go and talk to your neighbours and find out who pays the least, then go and negotiate with Calor.
On Saturday, 23 March 2019 16:20:39 UTC, Andrew wrote:

And renegotiate with Flogas :-)
If there are neighbours it may be worth asking about a group discount too.
Owain
On 23/03/2019 13:48, Bill Wright wrote:

Is that for cooking, heating or both?
--