Lamp post cut out

There is more wrong with it than there is right with it

Reply to
ARW

Erm ... if those are strain relief grommets, are they the wrong way round (inside out)?

The left hand SWA earth looks a bit messy with the bigger ring terminal and sleeving?

No blue sleeve on the r/h cable?

I don't know what the regs demand obviously but ignoring the sticking-out live, I'm not sure if it is bad functionally?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Does that earth on the r/h/s foul the case / lid (is that what has exposed the earth conductor)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You are missing the big one.

Reply to
ARW

Well, the flying live has never seen a screw terminal on those stands...

I assume you haven't just stripped that as part of your repair?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Apart from one of the wires hanging out of the front, you mean? Should it have some sort of fuse or circuit breaker in the gap? Should the front black wire be sleeved green/yellow? I suppose it is actually a single phase supply?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

If the posts were daisy chained and that was the last one required working then the 'loose' live wouldn't matter (other than shouldn't be flapping about etc).

Go on ... ?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Maybe they can't get the staff. I was amazed some years ago when they put new lights in my road to note that they left the posts with the wires inside them with no covers. a guy then just came along one day with a pick up truck full of covers and the bloke just went down the road wiring them in and shoving on the covers. I mean they were open to the elements for over two weeks, so seems a little bit wrong to me, but they are still working. During the original new wiring they lost one of their moles and it came up in the guy across the roads garden! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The luminaire 3-core has been wired to the incomer terminals bypassing the fuse?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It is single phase

You are getting close with the use of a fuse.

Reply to
ARW

YES.

Reply to
ARW

I assumed this might be a private site installation and the incoming feed was fused at source?

Here's a Lucy street lighting cutout and it looks different to yours.

Yours doesn't look capable of taking a fuse?

Reply to
Tim Watts

The two are very similar and both have a fuse.

The fuse is inside the grey cap on your link. The connections to the fuse are the blades on the grey cap

Reply to
ARW

It may not need a control switch if there is a timer on the supply and/or a light sensitive switch on the actual lamp assembly, but a local isolating switch would be good practice.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

OK...

What about that brown wire - was it out and unterminated or was that you? Curious...

Reply to
Tim Watts

So is 'the fuse' shown in the picture?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That's how I found it when I got there after they sacked their electrician. That just fed the next lamp post.

There is no power to them ATM

Reply to
ARW

OK... I see.

At least they sacked him - so *someone* was paying attention :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

And if not, and the fuse is out of shot, it's a bit of an unfair question to ask us. I can't see anything in the photo where a fuse *should* be fitted and has been bypassed.

Clearly there's no fuse in the photo, but it could be further along the cable that exits top left to the lamp at the top of the pole.

I'm surprised that the cables that enter from the bottom don't have green/yellow wire for the earth - or at the very least, a bit of green/yellow sleeving around the black wire that is evidently being used as an earth.

says that earth is always green or green/yellow, irrespective of single or three phase. I'm assuming that the wiring is "Current IEC", since the live is brown rather than red, so the neutral should be blue. But they appear to have used black (either neutral pre-2004 or else L2 of three phase) for earth, and grey (L3 of three phase) for neutral. That cable seems to contravene wiring regs which should be:

single phase

brown=live blue=neutral green/yellow=earth

or

3 phase brown, black, grey for three live phases blue=neutral green/yellow=earth

Using any other colours, even with sleeves, would seem to be an accident waiting to happen

Reply to
NY

So where *should* the fuse in that picture be? There doesn't appear to be a fuse holder (either using clips to take a cylindrical fuse, or using holes to take the blades of a fuse-wire holder to be inserted); it's not as if there is one and the lamp feed has been wired to the unfused side of it.

Reply to
NY