Fireplace "literally breathes life into your room"

It's a flueless gas fire. In other words, all of the carbon dioxide it produces will remain in the room, instead of going up the chimney to draw in fresh air from outside.

"the fire has the ability to burn off the odorous and stale air in the room and efficiently return warm and neutral air back into your airspace"

Wow.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

A bit pricey at £1300 though.

People are often astounded at flueless gas fires, especially with all the hype surrounding carbon monoxide over the past few years, often with unfounded fears...this particular model utilises a 'catalytic system', but even without it, they are completely safe.

Reply to
Phil L

Otherwise your gas cooker would kill you every time you used it! In effect, a gas cooker and a flueless gas fire are one and the same.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

It might be safe - but if you're worried about stale air, a fire in the room is not going to create fresh air out of it.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

I doubt anyone who is 'worried' about stale air would look towards any kind of fire for an answer. That said, we don't exactly know how this catalytic system works

Reply to
Phil L

An interesting opinion, Phil. Wasn't it you that told a poster that they had 30 psi gas pressure?

If you want to know what the Corgi bunch think of them, read this;

highlights; Slide; "The catalytic converters only last so long, and people are unlikely to get them replaced when they are spent. This means they lose the ability to convert CO into CO2, and start killing people."

ARGI via Letchworth; "The investigation of a considerable body of evidence by members of ARGI has identified a number of serious 'safety' concerns including the lack of a British Standard governing the construction and installation of flueless gas fire appliances. It has therefore been decided to advise ARGI members not to become involved in the specifying, installation or repair/maintenance of these appliances until these concerns have been resolved and an acceptable standard has been written. For further information please contact ARGI through the Secretary, details are listed below."

A Corgi registered fitter (although not registered for gas fires) was recently convicted and imprisoned for manslaughter after incorrectly fitting a new faulty flueless gas fire. The DIYers buying fires at the sheds are playing with fire, so to speak.

They should be banned, on efficiency grounds as well as on safety grounds.

Reply to
Aidan

[...]

I said 2bar, which is what the gas is at the mains side of the meter, in many areas, certainly mine because I know several people who work for Transco.

This is where you're going wrong, I don't care what the 'Corgi bunch' have to say about them, the manufacturers make them to fit in with current regulations, which they do, if people are too stupid to fit them correctly or use them according to instructions then that's up to them, but don't blame the fire manufacturer for other people's stupidity.

They are incredibly efficient, no chimney to take away 75% of the heat you see.

Reply to
Phil L

No. What you said was;

"You turned the gas on? - what did you expect to happen considering the gas is at about 30lbs pressure? "

You did not qualify that statement; it seems you had believed that there was a normal pressure of 30 psi at the test nipple You were also confused about gauge and absolute pressures. In short, you know remarkably little about the topic about which you are posting.

There is no relevant British Standard.

The Corgi bunch and the ARGI bunch are registered gas fitters, some of whom know something about gas appliances. Every single comment in that thread was opposed to flueless gas fires, none would fit them.

You know better? Are you Drivel?

No, they are not "incredibly efficient". The fires have no ventilation; the vitiated air must be replaced with cold, fresh air from outside. This also applies to the CO2 exhaled by people. The fires may appear to be efficient to those who are technically naive and who make no allowance for this.

At best, the IAQ will deteriorate. If the ventilation is inadequate, the O2 will be consumed and the fire will then emit CO, regardless of the catalysts and how it was installed.

Reply to
Aidan

Excellent idea, that will stop global warming.

Reply to
Steve Firth

"Stale air" though is less about air that's lacking in things, it's about air that's also full of tobacco smoke or dogwaft. Burning that to some simple CO2, provided you avoid the CO, seems reasonable enough

(and WTF is raden's problem?)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Uh - they're 100% efficient (save that they need some extra ventilation).

Reply to
Tony Bryer

While I share your concerns about them generally, this point is not accurate. People have been using unvented gas and paraffin fires for many years with no catalysts, and though not risk free, lack of catalyst does not result in death. It removes a layer of safety from the equation. For death to occur you also would need a fire that burns incorrectly, and lack of ventilation. I've been in various buildings that used simple old non vented gas burners, and have always walked out alive. The atmosphere they create isnt especially pleasant, but not lethal.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

They replace the odours with another set of their own.

The thing that bothers me most about these sort of fires is the condensation they create. There's an awful lot of water created by them when burning gas!

Reply to
Fred

|On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 23:03:35 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote: | |> It's a flueless gas fire. In other words, all of the carbon dioxide it |> produces will remain in the room, instead of going up the chimney | |Excellent idea, that will stop global warming.

Only if the room is hermetically sealed, which it isn't. The CO2 and H2O produced by the fire eventually gets into the atmosphere, and adds a tiny amount to Global warming.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

"literally breathes life into your room"

If that is true then it must be releasing bacteria into the room, or something bigger. Sounds nasty to me.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

It's probably more intelligent that Raden.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

On Dec 1, 12:09 pm, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote: While I share your concerns about them generally, this point is not

More here;

won't install, service or repair them. ARGI has advised members not to istall or service them. Many RGIs won't deal with them.

"Most seem to require a permanent 100cm vent.......which will let in a hell of a draught......so people will block them. I spend a considerable amount of my time unblocking vital airvents blocked by tenants, so don't tell me it won't happen cos it will."

If installed correctly you introduce a permanent 100cm2 draught; hardly energy efficient. And no, I really can't be arsed to check the figure quoted. If installed incorrectly, or if they malfunction, then they are unsafe

True They also had leaky, draughty windows, walls and floors. They had chimneys.

We have uPVC windows & doors, draught-proofing, sheet flooring (laminate or laminated timber), gypsum plastered walls & ceilings, and caulking to fill any remaining gaps. Some houses are getting pretty airtight. Introducing a 2.6kW open flame into some such houses is bloody ignorant.

Far more sensible to use a fanned flue boiler that draws the cold air necessary for combustion from outside only as it needs it and which deposits the products of combustion back outdoors.

You did. So did I. The lady who was killed by her flueless gas fire didn't and many more will follow; or not follow.

Reply to
Aidan

good point.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

me and a mate installed one of those a month back. bloke gets home and declares it's the wrong one, the shop had supplied it to us, blind. we installed it. it looked rubbish, like his LCD TV on the other wall.

thing is, he's an ex marine with a short fuse and does boxing to keep himself sharp ... luckily he saw the funny side as far as we were concerned but the shop who screwed up got it full bore.

dangerous expensive tat, ime.

Reply to
.