Probelms with UPS - again.

Ordered up some car parts and the vendor used UPS. I assume because it's the cheapest they can find.

According to tracking, they attempted to deliver yesterday at 15.00. Was in. Not only that, but the frond door was open - just the vestibule one closed. They didn't ring the bell. And there is no door knocker.

And again today at 11.25. I went out at 11.30 on the dot.

Of course no card etc left to prove they'd even been here.

It is only ever UPS I have problems with regularly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In Southend it seems that Royal Mail have no-one available to deliver mail at all. It's not unusual for 2nd class mail to arrive a week late and then all on the same delivery, irrespective of when or where it was posted.

Reply to
alan_m

A lot of them simply don't seem to see bells. Enough to believe that they work, anyway. Have you tried leaving a notice with an arrow to the effect "BELL WORKS" or similar ?

michael adams

michael adams

It all seems to come down to what your individual depot / driver is like.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes I was waiting for a memory stick with audio urgently, they sent it again and it arrived with the first both tied together by an elastic band. so they only had that and thought sod it and then when they got another decided to deliver it. I live on the top of a hill and it has been very hot. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That doesn't correspond to my experience. After disasters with cheaper carriers, I've used UPS almost exclusively to send stuff all over the country. The local delivery driver has always done a proper job, too, and is pleasant and friendly. In the days when I used to have to check an offspring's house every lunchtime, I would always pass him parked up in his favourite spot to have his sandwiches.

Reply to
Bill

It's a new bellpush with a couple of super bright LEDs in it. Since the door is about a metre back from the outside wall, still pretty visible in sunlight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Managed to contact them by phone. Lots of apologies - a fairly head honcho phoned me back. Seems the driver should have left a card each time. So since he hadn't, can't have come to my front door. He did ask if I was sure the parcel was correctly addressed. Not something I could possibly say, except it's from a company I use a lot. And it's correct on their site. They have promised to deliver tomorrow afternoon. So much for paying for a 48 hour service.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just like all courier companies.

Reply to
Huge

Must be. Although the 'cheap' ones like Hermes often deliver in the evenings round here. Suppose more chance of getting someone in. Also many send an email or text telling you the window for delivery - usually an hour or so. UPS not - just tells you which day on their site.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1 I've had Hermes and Amazon deliveries fairly late in the evening, including on a Sunday. They may have a two tier system where the van driver finding you not in during the day delivers to a local agent who then tries to re-deliver in the evening

The better delivery companies will text/email the night before giving a tracking number which in turn provides a estimated 1 hour delivery slot, and sometime real time tracking of the delivery van. "Fred your delivery driver is currently delivering parcel 20, your parcel is number 30". The tracking will show the van is a few streets away.

Most carriers around my way are willing. and do, leave with neighbours.

In my experience the worst of the bunch is Parcel Force. The last time I was out they carded me to say that it had been left at the XX post office where XX was a completely unreadable scribble. Only after visiting local post offices in fairly nearby corner shops did one of people behind the counter identify the scribble as the "code" the drivers use for the post office in a more distant supermarket.

Reply to
alan_m

Having arranged with them for delivery any time after 2pm today, as I was out in the morning, got home at 1.15 to find a card in the door from them. Having had a phone call from them on the mobile about 12.45 confirming they'd deliver after 2.

So phoned them again. Finally delivered at 2.45. Two men in uniform in the truck, so they must both be in saying they'd called when they didn't on the previous two occasions.

And a phone call slightly later making sure I'd actually got it.

Seems it does work making an almighty fuss. Sometimes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)