Praise where praise is due.

I've only been asked if I was allergic to eggs. Never been asked to wait afterwards.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It's not clear if the vaccine actually stops you getting the virus and spreading it or it just builds up some immunity and have no serious medical conditions if you do catch it (or a new close variant of it).

If the vaccine doesn't prevent someone who has had the jab from spreading the virus nothing much will change and the death rate and load on the NHS may not significantly reduce if those most at risk of dying are excluded.

Reply to
alan_m

Oh dear. Boolean logic in an analogue world. There is no 'infection rate' there is more or less of a viral load and more or less proximity to other people., If the vaccine stops people catching it badly it wont spread as far and as fast will it?

Imagine, if you can, that the vaccine reduces the total number of virions in the world. If that keeps on falling, the virus eventually disappears

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps in hindsight but I understood the initial Isle of Wight trial/exercise results were rather inconclusive and open to interpretation.

Reply to
Fredxx

I think it is a bit like software development, delivery/time to market is the critical thing. It doesn't matter if it isn't perfect, when people need it yesterday.

Or at least that is the tale of my programming career.

Reply to
Pancho

You don?t know that last is true.

Reply to
Fred

I don't personally, but Brazil seem to think it's only 50.4%

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, but it isnt yet clear that the vaccine does reduce the viral load in the vaccinated.

That depends on whether they shed less virus and that isnt clear yet.

It isnt clear that it does that yet.

Not necessarily. Only smallpox has disappeared, all the rest are still around, even the bubonic plague.

Reply to
Fred

Yes I note that test and trace is working better now they have moved to local teams. I think you are right its nearly always a mistake to use national systems to fix local problems. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

There isnt just one chinese vaccine.

Reply to
Fred

But the App was meant to be the magic bullet for solving the track and trace problem :(

Reply to
alan_m

It's not obvious if you have ever worked with the army. They are organised into autonomous groups. Each with a mission and the freedom to accomplish that mission. They might take orders but there is choice in executing those orders.

There was a belief that there would be more vaccine that personnel able to administer it. As you say that doesn't seem to be a problem.

The main medical concern is over anaphylactic and prompt treatment. There have been a few cases.

I wasn't aware of that, perhaps it's not surprising.

Reply to
Fredxx

Interesting. Often the private sector costs for the same routine op are higher than in the NHS. Perhaps there is even greater waste in the private sector?

Reply to
Fredxx

It includes golf clubs.

Reply to
jon

We haven't got too many spades in the UK.

Reply to
jon

There can be several interpretations of "It is not recommend". One is "We recommend against it because (eg) tests show that it gives poor results" - and another is "We cannot recommend it because (eg) we haven't actually done any tests under those specific conditions." With Pfizer, it's the latter. However, I'm sure that our medical people will be monitoring some of those who will be getting a delayed second jab, and checking that the delay is not likely to create any problems.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Don't attempt to educate the likes of Andrew with facts. He gets all his 'facts' from his gut.

I'd say he doesn't give a stuff about any dying. Unless it effects his deliveries, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

and in my case in the gardens of a local country mansion, with half a dozen marquees and a drive through arrangement. Didn't even have to get out of the car. Very impressed! (I know Covid is a bit different, with observation period after jab).

Reply to
Davidm

I fancied a bus slightly more than a taxi when I had to take my car in for a recall ... as it turns out buses are practically empty round here now, only one person allowed per bench, but in practice nobody within two or three benches of anyone else.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've had regular flu jabs and went through the mass vaccination sausage machines at the local surgery until a couple of years ago when they reduced it to individual appointments with a nurse. Still just in and out. But my Autumn jab was at Boots - lots of form filling before the jab and then made to wait 5-10mins despite protestations - and uncomfortable small talk with the South Asian girl who didn't seem keen on chatting.

Reply to
AnthonyL