Praise where praise is due.

Why category are you in? I thought it was only over-85s who got the jab at the moment?

Reply to
Pamela

Only for those who have had the flu jab before and with no adverse effects. Those having the flu jab for the first time are often asked to wait for 10 minutes afterwards and in my surgery it was a wait at the table sat next to the nurse that administered the flu vaccine.

I'm not sure why there should be a wait beforehand. With the flu jab I had an appointment time, went in and back out within 2 minutes.

I can see why there is now a wait after a Covid first time jab and perhaps the need for larger premises. I'm in group 4 and I expect that I will have to go to a larger centre - but my surgery is currently operating from porta-cabins in the car park after a recent fire in an adjoining pharmacy.

Reply to
alan_m

That would be fine if you have a car. Plenty parking. Perhaps not so good if you haven't. I really don't fancy using any public transport during this pandemic - my guess is it's a prime source of spreading infection due to proximity and poor ventilation.

For the flue jabs, I was given an appointment which seemed to be at 5 minute intervals. Two seen at a time. I arrived exactly on time and there was no queue. Same as yesterday for the covid jab.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The only good things the NHS has is hospitals doctors technicians and nurses. Their administration is probably the worst I have ever seen.

Billions of pounds are wasted .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Paperwork

Reply to
charles

My view is the covid vaccinations is merely a scaling up of that. Handled by those who already understand it. Not given to those who huff and puff about being wonderful, them fail. Or to a totally untried body like the army.

PPE was totally different. Due to world wide demand you couldn't just order more from your usual suppliers.

The vaccine is already bought and a considerable amount delivered or available to be. Hence the praise where praise is due. And there's been a lot more time to sort out the nuts and bolts of dealing with it - unlike the instant shortage of PPE.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I was told over 75s if at special risk. Have a local pal who is 70 and also at special risk who hasn't had the offer yet.

And, of course, those in the 'care' professions including medics.

At my session, (about 40 people there) all old. I assume carers would be done at their place of work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

And of course shouldn't have have needed to be handled by anyone at that level.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I had it first time this year, appointment booked to the minute (early on a saturday morning, surgery only in use for jabs that day) told don't arrive early, told to get your coat off and sleeve rolled up ready as soon as you enter building, short queue inside, directed to a treatment room (I think they were running three or four) pleasantries and quick explanation, jab, straight out via a different exit, under 2 minutes.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Which includes checking for things which, if not checked, may lead the patient (or their dependents) to take legal action. Those who shout loudest about bureaucracy are often the same who shout loudest about any failure to achieve perfection. Where "failure" probably includes the vaccinator accidentally misgendering the recipient.

Reply to
Robin

I read that Easyjet cabin crew are being trained to give vaccine jabs.

Reply to
Andrew

It means someone more important didn't get a jab (All the 10 to 35 YO's who are doing the spreading plus teachers, Uni staff, Supermarket staff and other front line workers).

Reply to
Andrew

For the flu jab that had been sorted before I arrived. I was asked my name and afterwards my address. A few seconds later it was ticked off and I went for the jab. Actually no paper but a computer entry.

Reply to
alan_m

Until just recently there haven't been any large vaccination centres. The Phizer vaccinations have been available mainly in local health centres. This vaccine is supplied in large batches which have to be used within about 3 days of coming out of deep freeze. I imagine the number of people over 85 in some of these areas is less than the supply of vaccines so it made sense to use up the remaining stock on people further down the age range. Even though I'm only in my seventies I assume that's why I got my jab a few days ago in a local hub operated by three GP practices in the area.

Now that mass vaccination centres and some pharmacies are coming on line it looks like the NHS is suspending supplies to the centres who've reached their target for the over 85's so they can divert supplies to the new centres to catch up with demand in areas where there are people over 85 still in need of vaccination.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

With surcharges, of course.

Reply to
PeterC

My local surgery was giving 'flu jabs but can't do Covid. The place is too small to accomodate the 15 min. obseravation and only one entrance. For the 'flu jab it was one or two in and out; assuming the same time for the jab there'd have to be quite a few sitting around. The practice has four surgeries but only one that's suitable. If the weather is OK, it's only 4 miles away so I can, if necessary walk there and back. I'm in the 70 - 75 group so it might not be too long now :-)

Reply to
PeterC

Would you be willing to lay down your career - and face legal action and physical attack - in support of a policy of letting elderly and vulnerable Covid-19 patients die on trolleys?

A good first test would be if you were be willing to go on the record - not anonymously - with your support for that policy.

Reply to
Robin

Given over to volunteers? Of which there were plenty. You don't need special training to hand out a form and ask it to be filled in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It's hardly rocket science, is it?

I was surprised how many seemed to arrive with layers and layers of clothing. I wore a short sleeved shirt and a puffa jacket to keep warm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

the only question I had before my flu jab was "Are you over 65?"

Reply to
charles