Plasterboard hollow wall fixings

Can anyone recommend a plasterboard fixing which has a very low profile inside the wall? I want to hang a picture hook in a spot behind which a sliding door, er, slides. I don't know the exact clearance but it's in the region of one centimetre.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Something like this?

There are lots of similar types from the usual places.

Also, look at "Gripit"

Reply to
nothanks

(a) you can hang a picture (all of mine are) using just a pin in the plasterboard. It's strong *enough*. Just.

(b) If you want to hang something more substantial you need to add a layer in front of or behind, the plasterboard skin. If you are going to make the picture permanent you could e,g superglue a sheet of thin plywood to the wall.

(c) a third possibility is to e.g. drill/cut a well oversize hole in the wall and fill the hole with e.g. MDF. Glue this recessed in a little, skim over with plaster and repaint.

(d) replace the whole section of plasterboard with MDF, and repaint.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Excellent plug -- but too long?

If you can get to the other side, i.e. the sliding door side:

Or these:

possibly using two?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

these are good

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Yes the issue with many of these is that you initially need a deeper space, and it only reduces as the rear part expands. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Who builds walls this thin, though? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

These only need 2-3 mm behind the plasterboard for the wings to rotate

Andy Burns

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've decided on a large diameter dowel plug, just over the depth of the plasterboard, with a thin faceplate and a hook screwed into it. Since all the load is downwards I reckon that will be more than strong enough.

Brian, the wall isn't particularly thin. What I'm fixing into is the plasterboard skin over a sliding door assembly: that's why the clearance is so small.

Reply to
Bert Coules

It's likely that the dowel will rotate as you tighten your hook. Look at the link I posted - if it's too long you could cut a little off. Alternatively, fix and glue a wooden plate (shape, colour and thickness to taste) then screw your hook into this. Further thought: if you can get to the back (in the door pocket) glue a piece of metal or wood to the back of the plasterboard and screw into that.

Reply to
nothanks

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear: I fashioned the whole thing before I put it into the wall: the dowel, faceplate, and hook were already a solid (screwed and glued) assembly and only had to be inserted and glued into a close-fitting hole in the plasterboard.

Reply to
Bert Coules

These things use to be all the rage:

There are likely other sources for smaller quantities.

Reply to
Fredxx

Or my favourite:

Open door, expand the fixing, and choose a shorter screw of the appropriate length. Check clearance with door.

Reply to
Fredxx

But are too long for this situation.

Makes more sense to glue something to the outer face of the plasterboard and attach the picture to that. Obvious problem is if the new picture is smaller than the one it replaces later.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Full link...

alan_m

I know you have an answer now but I have seval pictures on wooden boards fixed to walls in my hall using velcro strips. They don't move unless I want to move them and they always hang square.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

That's not a problem in this case, the sliding door can be in the closed position when adding the picture hook. The problem is that most of them are still much too far behind the plasterboard even when fully installed.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Those that do sliding doors that disappear into the wall when fully open.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The bolt is much too long.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Still much too deep even with the short bolt.

Reply to
Rod Speed