45kg radiator on thermalite block wall - recommended fixings?

What would you use?
I have used stud+resin for basins on the same wall, but it's probably a bit excessive as the rad will take upto 8 fixings without too much leverage (unlike the basin).
I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more exotic fixing might be worthwhile?
On Saturday, 21 October 2017 12:17:39 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

a whole army of stud/resin fixings.
On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 12:17:34 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Broom handle plugs with epoxy?
I have a Tuit to do that with a bike rack which hoiked itself off a thermal block wall leaving some nice big holes behind.
Over engineering, perhaps, but better safe...
Cheers
Dave R

On 21/10/17 12:42, David wrote:

I've always used car body filler with total success in these situations
If the block is über porous, coat with polyester resin in the hole first

--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
Tim Watts wrote:

    Feet!
On 21/10/2017 12:17, Tim Watts wrote:

I think I'd look at some sort of stand to take the weight. Maybe just some wooden blocks.
Cheers
--
Clive

On 21/10/2017 12:17, Tim Watts wrote:

If you don't want feet, I'd suggest using long frame fixings, 100 mm or more.
On 21/10/17 17:58, newshound wrote:

That's a good idea...
And (to other posters) it is not designed to take feet!
On Saturday, 21 October 2017 21:02:16 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

when did that ever stop us?
NT
On 21/10/2017 21:02, Tim Watts wrote:

Kitchen fitters use 3 inch long plugs and screws for wall-mounted cabinets.
Drill lightweight blocks with HSS bits and make sure that they rotate without any wobbling else you will end up with a bigger hole than expected.
Tim Watts wrote:

If they're the Fischer Universal plugs (eg TStation 98168), they'll be fine. I put a few of the 8mm ones in an aircrete wall recently with #12 screws and they were rock solid.
--
Scott

On 22/10/17 11:08, Scott M wrote:

OK - thanks.
In that case I'll use the 8x65mm version that I have (used for shelving, wasn't sure about mega heavy rads)
On Sunday, 22 October 2017 21:16:51 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

I'd pick something a bit more solid for a solid wall, never mind a thermolite one.
NT
Tim Watts wrote:

Rads exert less outward pull than shelves any day of the week. The Fischer plugs seem particularly suited as the bore of a hole in aircrete is never going to be dead round - ordinary plugs must have a very limited contact patch by comparison.
--
Scott

On 21/10/2017 12:17, Tim Watts wrote:

Presumably the air blocks are covered with something like dot&dab plasterboard?
If that's the case why not cut back the plasterboard in the areas you want fixings then fill with dot/dab adhesive and smooth off level? That way you have a tough, well adhered and solid surface into which you can use regular plugs and screws.