45kg radiator on thermalite block wall - recommended fixings?

What would you use?

I have used stud+resin for basins on the same wall, but it's probably a bit excessive as the rad will take upto 8 fixings without too much leverage (unlike the basin).

I've got 50mm long plugs (fischer) - but was wondering if a more exotic fixing might be worthwhile?

Reply to
Tim Watts

a whole army of stud/resin fixings.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Broom handle plugs with epoxy?

I have a Tuit to do that with a bike rack which hoiked itself off a thermal block wall leaving some nice big holes behind.

Over engineering, perhaps, but better safe...

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I've always used car body filler with total success in these situations

If the block is über porous, coat with polyester resin in the hole first

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Feet!

Reply to
Capitol

I think I'd look at some sort of stand to take the weight. Maybe just some wooden blocks.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

If you don't want feet, I'd suggest using long frame fixings, 100 mm or more.

Reply to
newshound

That's a good idea...

And (to other posters) it is not designed to take feet!

Reply to
Tim Watts

when did that ever stop us?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If they're the Fischer Universal plugs (eg TStation 98168), they'll be fine. I put a few of the 8mm ones in an aircrete wall recently with #12 screws and they were rock solid.

Reply to
Scott M

OK - thanks.

In that case I'll use the 8x65mm version that I have (used for shelving, wasn't sure about mega heavy rads)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Presumably the air blocks are covered with something like dot&dab plasterboard?

If that's the case why not cut back the plasterboard in the areas you want fixings then fill with dot/dab adhesive and smooth off level? That way you have a tough, well adhered and solid surface into which you can use regular plugs and screws.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Kitchen fitters use 3 inch long plugs and screws for wall-mounted cabinets.

Drill lightweight blocks with HSS bits and make sure that they rotate without any wobbling else you will end up with a bigger hole than expected.

Reply to
Andrew

I'd pick something a bit more solid for a solid wall, never mind a thermolite one.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Rads exert less outward pull than shelves any day of the week. The Fischer plugs seem particularly suited as the bore of a hole in aircrete is never going to be dead round - ordinary plugs must have a very limited contact patch by comparison.

Reply to
Scott M