OT: So 25mph is a 'strong wind' that rates a yellow warning?

Cos that is all it is at the nearest airbase.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You really expect a 100% accurate weather prediction? No wonder you were taken in by Farage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its the gusts to 40-50mph that are causing a problem in North Yorks (although all the weakest dead wood has already hit the deck in Monday's storm). It is less severe than on Monday but not by all that much and it is getting worse. This one is actually wet and horrible outside as well.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Snowflake generation

Reply to
newshound

I think the main thrust of this was due to the storm surge brought on by very high tides at the moment coupled with that surge. Most of the storms we do get have their winds reduced du to the colder seas around these parts. After all its the warm seas that feed the storms normally. I'm glad as I don't like people naming storms after me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It was an anti climax in Kent/East Sussex. Supposed to be gusts of 46mph but we've had stronger.

The rain was a wanker though as I was trying to run a chopsaw outside. The sun would come out - set up, 2 minutes later without warning, it would piss it down. Repeat that many times throughout the day.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Definitely *not* an anti-climax in *this* part of East Sussex. I'd estimate Beaufort Scale 9 (Strong/Severe Gale): 47--54mph.

Weather, localised, innit?

Jon N

Reply to
jkn

Brainstorm?

Reply to
stuart noble

I'm in a bit between hills - anything can happen and the weather forecast is seldom right for rain.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hum, are you in an exposed part of East Sussex?

We get that sort of wind may be once or twice a year, but we are exposed, at 1400' and only a few miles from Great Dunn Fell which is one of the windiest places in Britain. (Ophelia was F9 for about 3 hours, gusting to the mid/upper 60's mph).

There is *nothing* loose lying about simply because it gets blown away. That strength wind can shift or lift standard wooden pallets given half a chance. Shallow rooted plants can get blown out of the ground... Yer average garden would get shredded in winds that strong.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice