Wall fixings

I'm fixing some thin T&G panelling to the lower half of one wall of my kitchen, on horizontal battens. Where a radiator is to go, I have fixed vertical battens for the brackets to attach to, through the T&G. This is under a window, which used to be a door, so the vertical battens are going onto a bit of filled-in wall. The blocks here seem to be very insubstantial, and my vertical battens remain loose, despite my going up to 80mm long hammer-in fixings to attach them. The drill goes straight into the blocks like the proverbial knife through butter. I'm not happy about supporting the weight of a 900 x 600 double radiator this way. Are there other fittings I could be trying, for a stronger result? Worth epoxying fixings into the holes?

I am certain the inner leaf is of blocks, as I have seen them fom the outside - but that's another story.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

The Fischer UX universal plugs are pretty good in blockwork. Some excellent info here;

downloading the Basic Knowledge & Fixing Guides.

HTH

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

resin injection - it's absolutely fantastic for jobs like this

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thanks for the replies, folks.

In the mean time I did what I should have done before, and searched the archives. Among the sensible suggestions was one to clean out and wet the holes, and fix the plugs with expanding foam. So I've done that and it's curing. And expanding, obviously. Because I had some. When that doesn't work, I'll drill some more holes.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

And...

If I were to use resin, how is this done, please? Do I inject resin into the hole, then insert the plug and screw, or do I just insert the plug and wait for the resin to go off, or do I just use a screw flotaing in the resin? I can't easily use a bolt or threaded rod, as the battens are shallow and won't take much countersinking - the head has to be flush with the batten because the panelling is being nailed over it.

Thanks Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Last night I hoovered the holes, introduced some water with a straw. bunged the squirty foam nozzle in and gave a little squirt, then dipped the plastic plugs in water and tapped them into the foamy holes with a hammer. This morning I have cut new battens and fixed them, and they feel pretty rigid to me. Who'd have thought it.

Expect post in one month: "Radiator falls on cat".

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

If aircrete type blocks, the other thing you can use is very long (go almost right through the block !) course-thread screws put in via a very short pilot hole (just to guide them in straight). Screw them straight into the block, and they grip OK is you use several of them. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Do you mean a multi monte?

The Medway Handyman