PING ARW re EICRs

Cartridge fuses are no different from MCBs. Wire fuses have to have the cable upsized/downrated.

Only question will be whether RCD protection is present, and whether absence of same is C2 or C3.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

The lack of an inspection pit for the earth rod might be mentioned.

As the total load is from a 13A fused spur then the fact that it feeds a

32A fuse does not matter. I suppose you could argue that there is no discrimination. However in this case the garage CU could be swapped for a 3A fused spur for the lights and have no fuse in the garage for the sockets.

It would be nice to see what the inspector puts down on the report.

Reply to
ARW

This is what concerns me about the EICR..... it could be a a method where the electrian "claims" that certain works are necessary to get an EICR "pass" and I then have no choice but to agree to the work done and pay the full cost within 28 days as (a) I can't argue against the EICR report and (b) I can't sign off my own electrical DiY even though I might actually do a better quality job than the sparky and (c) the council will follow me up and they won;t accept competent DiY work, they will want to see evidence from a sparky!

Its only on rental properties that EICRs are needed, I don't need to do it on my own domestic dwelling that I live in....

I've already had one Sparky tell me that split load CU with only half the circuits RCD protected means an instant fail and would need a new main CU and that the garage Sub-CU needs replacement with full RCD and MCBs due to the ceramic fuses.....

I bet if I was to ask for the non RCD protected MCBs to be switched to RCBO's, they would refuse as that's too quick a job than replacing a whole CU even though I know you now can get RCBO's in the same form factor as a MCB, and not only that there is no room for a 2nd RCD in the CU unless the main switch is replaced with one.

Its a shame you don't live near Northampton or I'd offer you the EICR job and allow me to fix it myself and have you back for a re-test at a lower rate to check the bits that failed.

Reply to
SH

What's to stop you carrying out your remedial work? And then another assessment?

Are landlords not allowed to do any electrical work, as per gas regulations?

Reply to
Fredxx

One could probably fix it and get a completely new EICR - which will be assessing what is there now, rather than how it got there. Although you would be paying for the whole thing twice that way - you would be able to meet that part of the requirement to have that bit of paper to wave.

However it would not meet the requirements of part P and notification to LABC etc. Quite how much anyone would care is debatable so long as nothing bad happens!

Reply to
John Rumm

That's what I thought. I think if you got a EICR pass I would say your work is pretty well covered.

How many prosecutions have there been through the Part P police?

Reply to
Fredxx

I see no reason why a 16th edition setup should require a new CU without good reason. It may only require say a RCBO on the lighting circuit that powers the bathroom.

A friend of mine's son has a rental and had an electrician in to do an EICR but he said he could not perform a full one as the CU was not secured to the wall.

As the CU had no RCD protection he quoted £835 to swap the CU, swap two broken sockets and two pendants and complete the test.

I swapped the CU on Sunday whilst my friend did the sockets and pendants. Total cost of parts £130 (only 4 circuits and all RCBO) and took 90 minutes to complete. It's not tested yet but 4 circuits is only an hour - I already know what the circuits do and that the bonding etc it in place and as there are no chandeliers I can remove the lamps and do a LN megger test on the lighting.

What's the time scale? I do go to Watford quite a lot at weekends. I can call in as I am passing to have a quick look for the obvious stuff and look at the garage and make suggestions if you want.

Reply to
ARW