Ping ARW, Florence is calling

If you're doing nothing, get your goggles and plastic pinny out... 40 FULLY QUALIFIED ELECTRICIANS needed for Monday start at Excel to build the new Nightingale hospital, £20ph, min 9rs per day, spread the word x send CV to snipped-for-privacy@LBBD.gov.uk

don't know about anybody else but when I hear Nightingale hospital I think of Max Headroom....and the body bank...and Breugal and Mahle

Reply to
Jinky ...

That rate looks ungenerous for London at any time, with no allowance for the risks of working near Covid-19. I think they might have done better to ask for volunteers willing to work for free - with free parking on site, plentiful free grub, and the telephone numbers of nurses looking for electricity ion their relationships.

Reply to
Robin

+1
Reply to
ARW

Saw it on a TV group. Lots of TV sparks will be out of work at the moment, and many London based. They might need some hand holding for installation work, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 28/03/2020 16:32, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: <snip>

Do that many TV sparks live with other sparks?

Reply to
Robin

is the sort of stuff I have to deal with at hospitals.

Fed from two DBs and on different phases.

Reply to
ARW

Wow. Aren't you tempted to wipe the marks off the cables?

Reply to
Fredxx

It took me 50 minutes to find the DBs and they were in the female toilets.

Reply to
ARW

Just a quick one Robin (asking on the newsgroup on purpose). The police seem to have new powers.

Has anything changed other the requirement to just give them your name and address if stopped?

South Yorkshire Police are now stopping vehicles to see why you are travelling. I would have thought a sign written van might be a clue as to what I do but these are not intelligent people I am going to be dealing with.

Reply to
ARW

not literally in them I hope.

Reply to
tabbypurr

In French France its all done online with a permit, so really they should not need to think, just match up the permit and the car number on cctv remotely. Are taxis still allowed. I did hear a very interesting bit on world service that showed that a lot of the problems is that you can be infected and shedding virus before you get any symptoms. This is why they will, I fancy, have to go total lockdown. The good news is that they should only need this for three weeks to get rid of the stragglers, but it means cordoning off small areas a bit at a time bit like a rolling road block. I guess if we had antibody tests it might be easier. I think the who are right, if testing could have been scaled up faster at the start, we would not now be faced with the multi area infections we have. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Bed)

You know what, it was less than 4 years ago I saw a design for a modular hospital on some show, well I heard about it, and they suggested that its would only take a few days to get a very big emergency hospital in any spare building. What ever happened to that idea, I bet the British let somebody else have the idea and profit from it as usual. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Bed)

I didn't read them with that in mind but after taking quick look again I don't think they give the police any new powers to require information.

I was in fact struck by the lack of powers. But concluded they don't really need them. The regs simply apply the powers in PACE to arrest people. So in practice if you don't answer questions and they think that's reasonable grounds for suspicion...

PCSOs are also authorised by the regs and while you don't have to give them more than name and address they can detain you while waiting for a constable.

I suggest what might be helpful is to print and put in the car pages 4 and 5 from the regulations; or put a copy on your phone. Then you can point out that politely the regs have nothing about "essential" travel or "essential" work. That's a gloss put on them which I suspect has misled otherwise honest coppers - and S coppers too ;)

The regs (PDF) are at

Robin

Neighbour was offered work with tescos as they desperately try to bring back mothballed stores into use, but nowhere to stay as hotels all closed.

Reply to
bert

Put on them by Sadiq Khan, BBC reporters amongst others.

Reply to
bert