Ping Anarchy - um - I mean - Anna K

Ho! Your lurkery has been revealed!

If I can find a JCB or something like it, I could make room on the sofa/chair w,h,y? to seat a tea-drinking visitor.

But not for a wee while: I really will have to make some space before I'll even open the door...

You will note that Zetnet died.

Reply to
Rusty Hinge

Did it really? As in, closed down?

Can't say I'm surprised if so; they swindled me rather, just before I left eight years ago.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I didn't dump it until July 2009 which I think was a few weeks/months after it was taken over. They cut off my Usenet access for no reason so I shut off their access to my money.

But they had been going downhill (IMHO) since the guy who wrote the ZIMACS software prematurely popped his clogs.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Doesn't sound like Zetnet of those days. They were 'taken over' by their telecoms supplier, and the lot have been sinking ever since.

When the connection kept going down (mainly due to changing servers and not telling anyone) I found another ISP. Emus to my old account *STILL* don't bounce, and it must be getting on for two years now.

ZMACS seems to have been knocked on the head, and most old Zetnuts have abandoned ship.

Reply to
Rusty Hinge

Tim Cole, greatly lamented.

The writing of ZIMACS was taken over before he died, and he was pleased to see that it didn't look too different.

There's a lot of bad feeling between old Zetnuts and Breathe...

Reply to
Rusty Hinge

If you don't know about Zetwas, drop me an emu - remove 'foobar'.

Reply to
Rusty Hinge

Yes, it was when he became ill that I started to have problems with petty restrictions and extra charges. It was clear that as he withdrew from the business, those who took over from him didn't share the same ethos.

Reply to
Bob Eager

He was ill before he got involved with Zetnet. Ghufar (good old Shetland name, that) roped him in when he was convalescing, to write what was essentially a Shetland intranet, and someone found it and gave it a good writ-up in one of the pootermags.

This resulted in a deluge of new members (Zetnuts have always been 'members', not customers) and there were Problems[TM] with connecting - resulting in much expenditure on new modems and servers.

The prombles were never far away, due to Shetland's communications with the rest of the world being an underwater cable, and when broadbeans came along, the operation moved to Manchester. TAAAW, there were some shinanegans involving Ghufar, and the company was bought-out by some of the shareholders.

That's when the rot set in, an then they fell into bad company in the telecoms field.

You might (or might not) want to visit some of the old-timers at

Rusty Hinge