Cleaning washing machine

The rubber seal around the door of my venerable AEG washing machine seems to leave dirt on clothes, despite being cleaned vigorously. Can anyone suggest a way of cleaning the seal?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Quick wipe with a cloth with a bit of bleach on it.

If that doesn't do it any more, it's because the surface of the rubber is starting to break down and it's no longer mechanically smooth. As Harry says, that's an indicator it's time to change it.

Expect a relatively simple job in theory, but requiring powerful thumbs and a rubber seal that has to be thoroughly sworn into place. Some machines are easy, some not so. Parts are =A310+ Do be careful not to jab tools through the seal when fitting - easier than you'd think!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks for the advice. Actually the surface seems quite smooth, so I'll try your bleach suggestion first.

I'm not quite sure what kind of bleach you are suggesting? There seems to be a huge range, from mild to dangerously active. But hopefully the wife will know ...

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

There is a product called 'dr beckmanns' from the supermarkets for a few quid. Wipe the seal with it, clean the draw in diluted solution then bung the rest in a 90c wash. It might be a waste of money and marketing hype but I've used it a few times and washing machine doesn't pong or have black mould in the drawer. Also use calgon-esque tablets as its a hard water area.

Dave Starling

Most household bleaches are hypochlorite bleaches, but in varying strengths, I'd use (for sheer convenience) some supermarket own-brand Milton, just because it's nearby and in a ready diluted form in the bottle. If you use something stronger (feel free), you obviously have to remove all traces before washing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

While you're about it, pull the soap tray out and do that too. Don't dishwash it though, they warp!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Flow-Plast silicone spray lubricant: brilliant for fitting gutters, push-fit waste pipe, and all other sorts of seals that need to be slid into place.

Reply to
newshound

It has perished. They all do after a while. The next thing it will develope a hole. See if you can get a new one.

Awful pain to replace though: make sure you have the Haynes manual to help.

Spamlet

Quick wipe with a cloth with a bit of bleach on it.

If that doesn't do it any more, it's because the surface of the rubber is starting to break down and it's no longer mechanically smooth. As Harry says, that's an indicator it's time to change it.

Expect a relatively simple job in theory, but requiring powerful thumbs and a rubber seal that has to be thoroughly sworn into place. Some machines are easy, some not so. Parts are £10+ Do be careful not to jab tools through the seal when fitting - easier than you'd think!

You were lucky I think: our Electrolux was a real pain as there was no room for fingers and it did indeed require a lot of swearing and bruises. Also difficult to be sure of ordering exactly the right one. Our seal has a built in outlet for a water recirculation pipe whose retaining clip was all but impossible to get at.

If you do replace, take the opportunity of cleaning all the other pipes and the pumps too as they will almost certainly be full of crud.

Spamlet