Has Anyone Heard Of Makerspace? (A Community Woodworking (and more) Workshop)

Just curious if anyone is familiar with Makerspace, either as a learner, a teacher or just a user.

I came across this ad the other day. It sounds interesting if the equipment could be used on a "every now and then" basis (for a fee, of course) as opposed to having to p ay a monthly fee. For example, I don't have a planer or jointer. I don't have room for a planer or jointer. If I could pay say $20 to use the equipment for an afternoon, that would be he lpful, every now and then.

*** Begin Included Text ***

(Insert City Name Here) Makerspace is a non profit workshop for people who want to make things. We have a beautiful 4000 square foot workshop includin g table saw , band saw , planer , jointer , chop saw , CNC router , belt sa nder , dust collection , scroll saw , drill press , 3D printer , oscillosco pe , stereo microscope , audio oscillator , power supply , fluke meter , we ller soldering station , Arduino and Raspberry pi , laser cutter , internet controlled telepresence robot , stained glass and sewing equipment , and l ots more. We attract folks who want to learn and others who want to share t heir skills and $40 per month gets you your own key to the place.

*** End Included Text ***
Reply to
DerbyDad03

IIRC I heard about this some years back, IIRC I saw it on a home improvement channel. You might check YouTube to see if there are any comments.

Reply to
Leon

Rumor has it the Timmy brothers got their start at some NY Makerspace.

Spalted Walt

.. makes me wonder .. My small-town seniors club charges about $ 100. per year. : no 3D printer < yet > : no laser cutters < yet > : no robots < unless cousin Earl is off his meds > : no audio oscillators or stereo microscopes : I might be getting ripped-off ! How far do I have to drive to join the MaskerSpace people ? ... I'm in Punkydoodles Corners Ontario Canada. John T.

Reply to
hubops

You are comparing $40 per month, $480 per year, to $100 per year, $8.33 per month. Different services provided for each choice.

Reply to
russellseaton1

At $480 per year I could have been a member for 50 years and ended up spending about the same amount as I did to build my shop interior and buy the tools, benches, etc.... On that basis it could be a viable option for folks.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

"Makers" is now what the device vendors are calling what we usta call hobbyists or DIY'ers. It's jes a name change to get ppl to buy more of all that stuff we've been buying, all along. Young ppl think it's cool when someone calls 'em a "maker".

Kinda like cell phone vendors. You don't really need one, but all the vendors will lead you to believe you cannot live without one. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

The big difference, for $40 you get all the tools on day 1. I can see it for people with no shop space or just to use some particular tool, like wide belt sander that I cannot justify buying.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What the heck are you babbling about? Did you have any idea what this thread is related to?

Do you even know what is being "sold" at Makerspace?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I agree, sort of. Is $40/month too much to have that sander available on as-needed basis?

I may contact the one I saw the ad for just to see if they allow "per-diem" membership. Can you join for a month, quit, then 6 months later join for a month again, quit, etc.? I would think that they would want a steady income stream, but if they already have enough members, maybe they allow walk-ins, for a fee.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Does it include consumables? I'm sure the belts are rather expensive. Who takes the nicks out of planer blades after someone who doesn't know better (or care) shaves nails?

Reply to
krw

He's telling you where the name came from. And he's correct. What's your problem?

Reply to
Trenbidia

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:q1zhA.18593$ snipped-for-privacy@fx06.iad:

As I understand how most of them are set up, you don't get access to everything on day 1. You first have to prove you know the safety rules, which is the way things should be done.

The ones near me all seemed to be open at awful times. Why does everyone want to do things on Model Train Club night?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

there's several of these around.... some open only to invitees, some have open nights....

Reply to
Contrarian

exactly

Reply to
Contrarian

The one here has a one-day membership for 20 bucks.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The one here will give you 24 hour access for an extra charge.

Reply to
J. Clarke

We have one that is a "fully-tooled garage" for working on your car/vehicle yourself, having daily/hourly fees. I suppose you could use their compressor for spraying! : )

Reply to
Bill

Yes.

Basically, the same thing I still get fer free. I generally call them "friends". They usually include tools AND experience. Since I doubt you have many friends, I can understand why you may be ignorant of the concept. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

We had one of those near where I grew up. We used it for exhaust system replacements, brakes, etc.

It was out on Long Island. A lot of the rich kids (not us) used to bring their pick-ups in and install huge lift-kits. Probably never went off road, but their trucks looked really cool. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03