Has anyone heard of putting an asphalt roof on a block and beam construction?

I have been advised to do this as I may want to tile or turf over the top in the future.
I know nothing about asphalt roofing. It doesn't seem to be a DIY job as far as I can tell! Has anyone got any advice or alternatives?
Appreciate all help.
H.
--
Howard Coakley
e-mail... howard<dot}coakleyatcoakley<dot].codotuk

I've got a roof terrace which is a conversion from the original sloping tiled roof and it is asphalt on a plywood over joists construction. GRP reinforced concrete 'promenade' tiles on top. The exposed upstands of the asphalt need to be kept painted with the appropriate white paint to prevent melting in the sun.

It certainly looked rather a skilled job. ;-)
Dunno about alternatives. This was the only solution offered by the architect.
--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:10:14 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
|> I have been advised to do this as I may want to tile or turf over |> the top in the future. | |I've got a roof terrace which is a conversion from the original sloping |tiled roof and it is asphalt on a plywood over joists construction. GRP |reinforced concrete 'promenade' tiles on top. The exposed upstands of the |asphalt need to be kept painted with the appropriate white paint to |prevent melting in the sun. | |> I know nothing about asphalt roofing. It doesn't seem to be a DIY |> job as far as I can tell! Has anyone got any advice or |> alternatives? | |It certainly looked rather a skilled job. ;-) | |Dunno about alternatives. This was the only solution offered by the |architect.
Thanks Dave. Appreciate that. I'm just waiting for a quote from a local company. When I recover from that, - i'll post the results!
Cheers.
flatulence wrote in message wrote:> > I have been advised to do this as I may want to tile or turf over

And they let you walk on this?

Nurse late with the medication again?
--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

flatulence wrote in message wrote:

I don't know, as I don't know your nurse. She is incompetent as she allows you out.
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:10:14 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
|> I have been advised to do this as I may want to tile or turf over |> the top in the future. | |I've got a roof terrace which is a conversion from the original sloping |tiled roof and it is asphalt on a plywood over joists construction. GRP |reinforced concrete 'promenade' tiles on top. The exposed upstands of the |asphalt need to be kept painted with the appropriate white paint to |prevent melting in the sun. | |> I know nothing about asphalt roofing. It doesn't seem to be a DIY |> job as far as I can tell! Has anyone got any advice or |> alternatives? | |It certainly looked rather a skilled job. ;-) | |Dunno about alternatives. This was the only solution offered by the |architect.
Thanks Dave,
I've just had a quote for an asphalt roof (26foot x 19foot) and it comes to approx 2000 inc vat. So, I will probably end up going the butyl-rubber, plastic membrane, then mortar and paving slabs route!
Cheers for now, H.
snipped-for-privacy@end.of.message.com.invalid says...

I'm replacing my flat garage roof right now.
150mm joists, 18mm plywood, several coats of bitumen paint, and pvc tiles.
See http://www.tacttiles.com /
Property is on sloping ground and the roof is almost level with the normal patio.
--
Ziggur

"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"