Phone.

But *don't8 get a 935, there seemed to be quality issues - company had

3/4 of them and every one had issues - mine the GPS seemed to have a loose connection! Would suddenly fail for a few seconds every so often.
Reply to
polygonum

That last is what I wondered about with the US one, although the lack of a USB port didn't help.

Reply to
Davey

I have some sympathy with that, but: my requirement for a camera function on my 'phone is because I always have my 'phone with me even when I am on a short trip, but not my camera, which is considerably bulkier. But occasionally I want to take a picture of something which is only there for a short time, such as a nice classic car in the Tesco car park, or a really bad example of somebody whose parking ability is close to zero. If I know I will want to take photos, then I will take the proper device.

Reply to
Davey

Sigh. I suppose you carry your DSLR with you at all times?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite. And since I already know my rather old phone takes a not bad pic, don't think it unreasonable to expect there is a newer one which is better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, so THAT's the cause of the horrible bulge in his trousers...

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I have a decent compact camera - I might take it if I'm out and not wanting to carry something bulky. Although having said this, the main real advantage for me is the zoom lens - I'm not that fussed, the quality of the phone and the compact both being good enough.

Reply to
RJH

My compact camera, with zoom lens, takes perfectly decent pictures, but it is for the times when I don't have it with me that I want a 'phone with a camera. The 'phone is lighter, and I always take it with me when going shopping. The camera is bulkier, so I don't usually have it with me, but occasionally see something that I want to record.

Reply to
Davey

Quite. Dunno how that is so hard to understand for some.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I manage perfectly well with no camera on my phone.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Like he said. Can't make phone calls or navigate using a DLSR either.

Life is full of compromises

Reply to
airsmoothed

I manage perfectly well without owning an angle grinder

Reply to
airsmoothed

snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Well, it's never free (though might be inclusive) , just depends on how it is charged on payg, 3G access is generally charged by MB - though some like Giffgaff have a fixed amount per day for a fixed charge - and then per MB above that.

If you use much data then a contract or a fixed monthly bundle can be cheaper, even if you don't need many phone minutes or texts

Reply to
Chris French

Yup, they can be good buys.

Eldest daughter got a refurbed iPhone 4S earlier in the year for somewhere around £150 (I know you aren't keen on Apple dave, but their cameras always seem good)

Reply to
Chris French

In message , Tim Streater writes

And your point is?

Different people have different requirements, lots of people find it jolly useful to have a camera on their phone

Reply to
Chris French

Oh come on. Some things are simply indispensable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Davey writes

I think you hit a weierd one there.

I don't think I've come across a modern smartphone that doesn't allow for download to the PC - certainly applies to both iphones (3gs and 4s), both android phones, and 2 old nokia dumbphones (with cameras nor really worth bothering about anyway)

Though I have our phones setup to sync the photos to Dropbox, and then that syncs to the PC.

Reply to
Chris French

I agree it's indispensable to be able to take pictures of those bank raids, refinery fires, plane crashes, and other exciting events that form the backdrop to daily life.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Meh, as you say daily stuff, not worth photographing.

My phones camera gets used for recording the prices of groceries for comparison between stores (so I don't have to remember them). Or taking pictures of things that might be acceptable but need approval from The Management.

I used to carry a compact digital camera but more often than not the battery was so flat it could only manage a couple of pics before shutting down.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Gets surprisingly heavy use in snapping displays of products where there is an apparent discrepancy between the pricing, a special offer, and the shelf edge labelling! Makes life much easier when I simply show what it says to the supervisor - then their job to explain why the price isn't what I think it should be.

Reply to
polygonum