Phone.

+1
Reply to
bert

Having had a play with a friend's Samsung Galaxy S4 full size version, it appears to do what I want. CPC charge approx 350 for one, but 250 seems more common on Ebay - and from UK sellers with decent feedback. The same spec and 'unlocked'. Why the big difference?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't use Samsung phones, but I have an Android phone.

Assuming you have it linked to a Google Account, (which you will need to access the Play Store for apps if nothing else) then it will sync your contacts to your Google Account.

log into your Google Account, go to Gmail, where it says Gmail on the ;left hand side, click on the little downward arrow to access the contacts, you can then edit/add contacts there and they will sync to your phone.

This might be useful

(I've not checked how current it is though.

I find Airdroid useful sometimes for access the phone via webrowser, using mouse and keyboard

Reply to
Chris French

Don't have a Google account and don't really want one. I'd rather store all my contact details locally.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Install a different dialler...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Contacts

Kies? The biggest heap of stinking poop I've ever had the misfortune to use. I only use it to keep a back up of schedule and contacts in the PC's outlook. It just about manages to do that but if there is a conflict it's pigging useless. All it says is there is a conflict and x records will be deleted. Doesn't offer any other options, doesn't let you see which entries have a problem.

The backup/restore rather than sync invariably fails to complete if I ask it to back up anything other than contacts and schedule.

Oh and when it wants to update itself it pulls the everything down,

300 odd files which takes long enough, then it'll sit there for 15 mins churning away. Right PITA.

I have a google account for the Play Store but I don't allow them to have *my* data.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh dear. I assumed something so many years down the line from the Nokia stuff would have been at least as good - if not better.

Could be just me, but I'm not keen on giving anyone my contact list for no good reason. I've managed just fine to keep it locally before, and nothing has changed in that respect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It may allow copying between two phones - but my old one no longer works because the number has been transferred. And I can't see an obvious way of that app importing a standard CSV or Vcard file.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They use different SIM cards.

The Nokia will sort of access the internet in a clunky sort of way, but PhoneCopy don't appear to have an app for it.

It can take one Vcard at a time.

It does appear to be able to load things in from a 'USB storage device' but won't see any of the various SD card readers I have lying around - even when they are self powered.

What PhoneCopy does have is a reasonable way of typing in contacts so will be easier to do than via the phone itself. Just why the Samsung PC software doesn't offer the same, I've no idea.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for that - eventually got my contact list transferred - although sadly means it is now on a cloud somewhere.

Would have been so much easier if Samsung had simply provided sensible PC software. I'm told the earlier version of Kies - which won't work with this phone - was better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Kies is bloatware and slow. I just connect the phone via USB and my data/ photos are visible straight away. I outed Kies a few years ago.

Reply to
Bod

And use Odin if you need to manually flash the phone.

I could never get the sack of shit called Kies to *ever* work (Windows

7, VMWare under linux).

Odin worked - and later I used Heimdall (the unix version flashing tool).

Guess which one was the easiest to use?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Odin eh! That's handy to know. I got Kies to work in Windows 7, but the program took forever to load. I didn't think much of the actual program either. I've never tried Kies on Linux and I don't intend to try.

Reply to
Bod

Kies was enough to decide me against another Samsung phone!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Just don't use the Kies program, it's really not necessary.

Reply to
Bod

I tried all of those on my SGS+, solution was to buy a Nexus.

Reply to
Bob Martin

+1
Reply to
Bob Martin

Probably. Bigger the better for me.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Mine does, except for Facebook Messenger, MyFitnessPal (sync only) and a few others.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I lilke the phones/tablets but Kies well I've already given my views on that... I only use it for Syncing the calendar and contacts between phone, tablet, Outlook and ancient HP iPAQ which it just about manages to do reliably.

I'm in the process of moving across to ownCloud but the syncing aspect is "non trivial" WTF can't devices just have a "sync" app under which you can enter as many server details as you want, set one as default and away you go using RFC whatever?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice