Timer press-switch rated 400w for 350w shower pump?

Obviously 350w is under 400w but when the pump spins up could it surge instantaneously past 400w, and if so will it fry the switch?

Kind regards Jon

Reply to
Jon Parker

I wouldn't have expected it to be rated for inductive loads, the Amazon details says that it isn't, but one of the Q&A on Amazon is from someone who has done just that

The Varilight website can be a bit difficult to find stuff, I think this applies, which says no

Andy Burns

Yes. The rating is for a resistive (heating or filiment light bulbs). Conventionally, if you sees a switch rated say 10aX this means inductive loads such as fluorescent lights are OK for ten amps. Typically for a motor (inductive load) the rating is half what it would carry as a resistive (heating) load.

You could make things work by wiring in a relay.

Reply to
harryagain

Motors & filament lamps both take large startup current surges, the latter more so.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Look for an immersion heater timer - you can get ones which do 15, 30, 60,

120 mins depending how many times you press the button, and they will have a relay switching the load.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I suspect the O/P wants to restrict showers to shorter durations than that ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Cheers for that, was not aware of inductive vs resistive.

How about this one?

which is rated at 20A resistive and 6A inductive.

6A at 240v = 1440W so this should be ample for a 350W pump.

Regards Jon

Reply to
Jon Parker

Looks OK rating wise, but 15 minute minimum run time?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Relays are far more reliable than triacs in practice in these sort of apps.

FWIW a 350w pump is most likely over 400VA.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yep, that's fine.

We have a shower pump which has a tendency to start itself up for the briefest of moments after 3-4 hours of switch off, so with this I'll set it to 30 mins, press it, shower, then in 30 mins the pump supply will be cut off and no spontaneous startup.

The pump isn't leaking, and the plmbing is good. I've checked all that :-)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Parker

Ah, I was imagining a teenage child using all the water was the problem

Flow switch/sensor on a hair trigger?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Looks that way. It sort judders as if it's trying to start up, then the bac k-pressure turns it off again. It's a pain in the arse frankly but there ar e no shut-offs with which to isolate the pump so this is a quick workaround until such time as I can afford to do it properly.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Parker