Phone.

My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost. Doesn't appear to be the battery - which is original.
I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement.
I'd like a new one with at least as good a stills camera and also an FM radio. The rest I assume will be ok with any modern phone.
I've got a 'thing' against Apple products.
--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 11:09:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Moto G? Camera's OK and the radio works. Was £90 seems to be a bit more now.
On 09/10/2014 12:28, Bill Taylor wrote:

+1 (despite not really liking smartphones)
Moto G battery life on standby with a few calls is well over a week - though considerably less if you enable it as a wifi hotspot or run animated games. Screen is clear and sound is pretty good.
Needs headphones plugged in to be an FM radio.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 09/10/2014 13:36, Martin Brown wrote:

Which is why I use digital (iPlayer) and don't need any form of headphones.
--
Rod

Yeah, me too, and you can listen to it whenever you like instead of when they broadcast it too.

Looked at some reviews and they seems a bit lukewarm about the camera. I probably use that more than the phone. Needing headphones for the radio is fine.
--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 15:28:24 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

That's the trouble with questions like this. You never really know what the expectations are. For my use the camera is perfectly fine. I.e. the odd snapshot or record if I don't have a proper camera with me. It's got a fixed, fairly wide focal length lens, lots of pixels and some compression artifacts but it seems to take reasonbly well exposed not terribly over sharpened or over saturated pictures.
Some ofhe Nokia Lumia phones get rave reviews of their cameras, and seem reasonably priced.

But are stuck with Windows Phone which means there are fuck all apps for them compared with android phones.

Carphone Warehouse sold me an unlocked Samsung PAYG phone at a very reasonable price when I produced an old PAYG Sim. I avoided the £10 charge for a new PAYG SIM.
--
Michael Chare

Looks like you can still get new ones via Amazon. Priced 150 to 200 quid.
Or:
http://www.refurb-phone.com
will sell you a grade A refurbished N95 for 90 quid.
And look on the bright side, you've already got a spare battery :-)
I've never dealt with www.refurb-phone.com.
Did get a new Nokia 3110 from an Amazon re-seller for a friend who managed to drive over his existing one. This was a few months ago. So far the replacement Nokia has avoided car tyres...
--
Dennis Davis < snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm>

Although the N95 was very good in its day, I'd like something that improves on its weaker points. For example, it won't work on BT Fone - no software. And a touch screen keypad would be easier to use than its small keys.
Perhaps I should start from the other end since it may seem I want something cheap.
What phone has as good a stills camera as the N95?
--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

Nokia 1520
--
Rod

Any of the high end samsungs.

On the Nokias, you need the headphones plugged in as they are also the FM aerial, but you don't have to listen through them.
--
Andrew Gabriel

What's the symptoms ?

Most who don’t like Apple products hardly ever have too much bad to say about the high end Samsung Galaxys S*s. Get one with plenty of memory, I got a 16G phone when I replaced the N95 8GB a couple of years ago now, assuming that since I never ran out of space on the N95, double that, which was the minimum I could buy would be fine.
In fact I use it rather differently with the podcasts from our national radio broadcaster that I listen to when walking for exercise because the replacement downloads the podcasts for the programs that I am interested in automatically rather than manually as I did with the N95, so there is a hell of a lot more on the phone that I get to choose from.
Even tho you don’t like Apple products, its worth considering the 6 plus because it has a much better camera than the N95. Very large phone tho, too big for a phone IMO.
On 09/10/2014 21:29, Rod Speed wrote:

I've got a standard 6, and, has to be said, a wonderful piece of hardware engineering and software design.
But it's a ridiculous bauble, really. Far too much money, and if I hadn't invested in apps (especially the maps, which work) I'd go for a Moto G.
I'm not entirely clear whether the OP wants or needs a smartphone, and whether battery life is an issue, but my guess is that the Moto G could work. 4G might even dispense with the FM radio fixation ;-)
--
Cheers, Rob

Dunno, an absolutely classic example of form over function in some areas, particularly being so thin when it makes a lot more sense to be as thick as it needs to be so the battery lasts for a week of normal use between charges. It actually only does a day between charges and doesn’t even manage that if you have everything on, GPS, wifi, bluetooth and make some reasonable length phone calls.

Yeah, the high end smartphones are considerably overpriced.

I use the free ones, mostly google maps.

I'd go for a Nexus 5 if I wasn’t prepared to pay for a high end smartphone.

It appears to be mostly for the camera although he may well do other stuff that he hasn’t mentioned as well.
I personally use mine for everything when out and about and will be getting a 6 once Apple Pay is available where I buy most stuff. I have wanted to piss the cards off for a long time now. Much more convenient to just wave the phone at the terminal in the selfcheckout than fart around with cards. Its going to be interesting to see how quickly they get the loyalty cards into the phone too.

I just have mine update the podcasts using my home wifi before I head out of the house.
I don’t listen to anything live, not even TV anymore, I watch it recorded instead but don’t watch the TV on the phone, just the radio podcasts when walking for exercise or when going some distance in the car.

I bought my better half a Motorola Moto G SIM-free from Amazon. Not expensive, seems to meet your needs.
Battery life better than my Samsung Galaxy S2. The Moto E
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
is cheaper still, and still pretty good, it seems:
www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/19/review_motorola_moto_e_android_smartphone/

I've got a Moto G 4G - camera the same as the G I assume, I'd agree that the camera is a bit so so, certainly compared to quite a lot of other smartphone cameras (though maybe not at it's price level? - it's one of the things it's easy to trim on the budget). But as you say, it depends on expectations. I've no idea what photos from the camera on the N95 are like.
I can send you some sample pics if you want dave.
Didn't know it had an FM radio though, not something I ever really use.
--
Chris French

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

my daughter has a Nokia Lumia 1020 fantastic camera but windows os you did not make any preference to the operating system ;(
-