Our refuse collection

When placed on the gantries surrounding a power station boiler they are dry in a day or so. Still a complete waste of effort though.

Reply to
Matt

Can I clarify something here?

My council says to leave the rubbish 'at the boundary of your premises'. Which side do they mean? The property owners or the other side?

The other side does not belong to the council, so where does that leave them for fines?

On the other hand, if I fall over a bin that has been left on the footpath, the council are responsible for all injuries, as the bin is their property. Likewise, all thos bins that you see left on the foot path outside terraced housing. They can not be expected to move them to the back of the house (assuming that they have a back to put it in within a mile of walking)

Megga bucks to be earned here in compensation and get your own back on any council that falls amongst these idiots.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Doesn't bother me. I am still on bin bags amongst a whole raft of wheelie bins. They ask me every now and again if I want a bin and I just ignore them.

If they want to force the issue, I will just tell them that they owe me rent for the space that it covers and increase this rent by 100 percent a year, just like they do with the council tax. :-)

Dave

ps I'll let you know how I go on, if it happens. How they will be able to weigh my rubbish without the chip, I do not know :-)

Reply to
Dave

I choose not to forget about recycling - it is more convenient for me than filling the normal bin every week - and the tops should not be in the recycling bin. I do put the bottles in first, so the weight of newspapers tends to compact them.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Make a formal written complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman. Don't be fobbed off. They are quite keen to take complaints like yours provided you have documentation. It has worked wonders locally in South Somerset.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I am going to a meeting in January and raising the issue there. As for neighbours helping, why should I have to rely on others to do a job that the council did for many years? coming down my drive and picking up my old metal dustbin, carrying it to the wagon and bringing it back. it seems to me that the councils want to do less for more money. I pay my council tax part of which is for collection of my rubbish.

If I don't get satisfaction from this meeting then as Peter has said I may have to write to the local government ombudsman.

Dave

Reply to
dave

As I'm not generally around on bin day, I can't be sure where it gets left, to be honest.

Anyway, a positive result this week when I left the bin a few yards from the pavement instead of by the side of the house (a location my previous collectors, same borough, different round, had no trouble with). The bin was emptied. A shame the lid was left off, in my drive, and I nearly ran over it, but I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies.

Reply to
John Laird

Some people regard it as a privilege to help others. It's part of living in a friendly community.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

For many people who have restricted mobility through disability or perhaps advanced years, being able to be independent is a key issue.

While the goodwill of others can be welcome, it should not need to be relied upon when the service supplier could be, should be and is being paid a great deal to do it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:15:18 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

To be independent one would need to live in a remote cabin somewhere. Generating electricity from the sun and wind, getting water from a stream and living on vegetables.

Reply to
David Hansen

Do you find that your water from the stream tastes OK?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Simply throw away the tops and stand on the bottles to crush them - they stay crushed and don't bounce back to shape.

JellyBelly

Reply to
JellyBelly

Oh! That's an AWFUL lot of trouble ...

I'm always amused by folk who throw empty bottles into the street. They have enough muscle power to carry them when full but somehow become weakened after drinking the contents ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If I needed the extra space, I possibly would.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Is that a South Glos. council bit of Bristol (like me)? The inlaws are in a Bristol City area and it doesn't seem to work so well.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

How come no one has noticed that the reason that the bins are half empty is that the townies are now driving out into the country to tip their crap by the side of the road? I took a trip down a BOAT not long ago, halfway along it, three miles from the nearest village I discovered that someone had decided to tip their washing machine. On other country roads I now regularly see black bags thrown into hedgerows.

Reply to
Steve Firth

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:38:00 +0000 someone who may be Steve Firth wrote this:-

How many washing machine designs fit into domestic rubbish bins?

I saw them regularly decades ago.

Reply to
David Hansen

Tssk, your mind remains as bizarrely closed as ever. I simply indicate the ludicrous extent to which townies go to dispose of their waste in the country. On other lanes there are now large caches of domestic refuse in any hollow in the landscape or behind stands of trees/hedgerow.

I realise that a tax on rubbish was a shibboleth of FOE but like much else promoted by that organisation it is a poorly thought out policy which takes no account of human nature. If waste disposal is taxed or made difficult then individuals will take the easier option and the evidence is that they are doing so in increasing numbers.

So did I, but not these locations have been free of fly tipping until now and the quantity and diversity of locations is increasing rapidly.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Perhaps that is why the great and stupid tone wants a national DNA data base. Makes you think though :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

How do you know it was townies?